Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Oh no!

Today as I was checking messages and photos and other information on the social network we use the most here in Brazil, Orkut. I began to panic. In the upper left hand corner the regular logomark of Orkut was there (see design to left), but with the word Yogurt instead of Orkut (see screen photo of my actual page on the right). People often confuse those two words, but still I knew something had to be wrong. I checked João's computer and Yogurt didn't appear. I knew what that meant. I had been cloned. That meant my e-mail, my password, everything was GONE. All would have to be canceled. And sure enough as I checked things out, all my identities had been stolen. My computer had been invaded by a hacker. Not only passwords, credit card numbers, banking information, files, everything was stolen. What do you do? Where do you start with a problem of this kind of dimension? Let me tell you it is a panicky feeling. So, let me give you a word of advice if you face this situation: Check the calendar and make sure it's not April 1. Gotcha! Orkut played a joke on all of us and changed the logomark to Yogurt for a day. And I played a joke on all of you. I wasn't cloned at all. My computer wasn't hacked, although you may want to hack me to pieces! Happy April Fool's Day.

1 comment:

Marilene Ferreira said...

Que comédia, Peguinha. Ainda bem q foi só um susto! Ufa!

Bjks