Saturday, February 03, 2007

Flowers in Floripa

You may not understand the title, but the reason for it is that the name of the city where we were for the last week or so is, Florianópolis, which loosely translated means Flower Capital... and Floripa is an abbreviation for the city. It is a totally beautiful city (the cleanest city I think I have ever visited) with great beaches. We travelled there, together with 1800 Baptists from Brazil, for the annual Brazilian Baptist Convention.
The photo to the left is a nice shot of João and I with Fausto and Dionne, our immediate predecessors at First Baptist in Rio. On our one day with some free time, we were able to do some sight seeing with them, as well as have a great visit with one of our church members who was on vacation there. They prepared a great meal for us and I actually learned to love oysters, which I had never eaten in my life. That together with the shrimp was yum-yum good. I especially enjoyed the seafood pilaf - squid and oysters and muscles and shrimp with rice. Don't you envy us? I ate till I nearly popped.
Most of the time, of course, was spent in meetings. Better than the meetings, for me, was the reunion with old friends after five years away from Brazil. At times it seemed impossible to even find our way to a seat as we were stopped every few feet to greet someone else. It was so rewarding - especially a long lunch with a pastor who had been a part of my adolescent group in Vitória back in 1984! I also had a long conversation with a single missionary friend here in Brazil. I was inspired by her work and reminded me how far God can lead us if we but follow his call.
I was very edified by two great messages during the convention - two out of five... I guess those aren't bad odds. Those two messages will stay with me a long time because I found them to be embued with the Word of God. I was, however, very discouraged with the format of worship and the quality of some of the messages. Made me feel like I don't belong in this midst anymore- or maybe I was born in the wrong century or something. I don't like street dancing in a worship service. I don't like musicians who talk for 10 minutes between songs. I don't like 90 minutes of singing before a one hour long message that is read. That's just me. I was discouraged by some of the politics and people who feel their face must be seen and their voice heard. I was discouraged by the HUGE financial debt of many of our institutions... and in many ways my feeling that denominational structure is a white elephant were confirmed. My heart was sick with some of what I saw and heard and I am still processing what I should do with this. I know with increased surity that denominational work is NOT the place for me and that feels surprisingly liberating after 21 years of such work. I am tired of institutions and fights over money. I just want to love God's people and help others discover how to serve God in their lives.
I am still on the journey to discover exactly what this really means. I received a number of invitations to teach or do leadership in children's work, but I responded by saying that this is no longer my area of ministry. That seems funny because I am so identified with children's ministry, but that was then, NOT now. It felt good to know I was being obedient in speaking the truth. (Those who know me well, know I struggle to say no to anything). God has confirmed this is where He wants me now. Being quiet. Taking a back seat. Contemplating. Praying. Watching and observing. I am a little anxious to discover what is going to happen, but he keeps telling me to wait. So wait I will. In time I know His dreams will become my dreams and they will be granted. For now, however, this is my circle of quiet.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome Home,
I really envy you for all that good food. But Júnior and I had some moqueca last night!! Of couse the shrimp was taste less since I bouth them frozen!
We also feel like you about the new aspects of the worship. It is horrible those kind of singers "animadores de auditório". Let's be serious street dancing in a worship is a bit much! And I do not consider myself too old with 30 years. I think that is a type of hypocrisy which there is in brasilians churches. Members of the churches want to satisfy other kind of social necessities in the worship to God.
Be prepared to talk a lot because we are going to call you and Pastor João soon.
love,
Roberta.

Anonymous said...

My message won't post......

Looks like a beautiful place to visit...sorry about the negatives but as we know its then that we grow the most. You are missed in Canada girl! God Bless Donna

Anonymous said...

HI Peggy: Oh what a beautiful place to experience. About the negative aspects - only those who truly know the Lord and understand what he wants could possibly see that negative - this confirms even further the strength and quality of your leadership. Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful day. Bye for now, Love, Myrna (( -16C in Ottawa today )) BRRRRR!!!

Anonymous said...

HI Peggy: Oh what a beautiful place to experience. About the negative aspects - only those who truly know the Lord and understand what he wants could possibly see that negative - this confirms even further the strength and quality of your leadership. Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful day. Bye for now, Love, Myrna (( -16C in Ottawa today )) BRRRRR!!!