Tuesday, February 13, 2007

My first visit to Maracanã


Saturday night a member of our church graciously ceded tickets for us to go to a soccer match at the largest soccer stadium in the world - Maracanã. Believe it or not after all these years in Brazil, I had never been to a game. That is really a crime, but I don't do well in the midst of tumult and huge crowds. Our friend knew this would be a calm night to go, and so made us the inrefusable (is that a word??) offer. We had a great time! It was a fun game, as we didn't care who won (in the sense that neither team was one of our favorites)and there was a very small crowd (11,000 as opposed to 100,000).
The stadium has just been remodeled, preparing for the pan-american games. It was a little on the hot side, so I got some water and just sprinkled it on me throughout the game. Also enjoyed a wonderful coconut popsicle. I felt just like a kid again. João remember to take radios so we could follow the commentary and know what was happening. We especially enjoyed seeing the father of one of the players (Sebatião Lazaroni, who had been the coach of the Brazilian soccer team) watch his son make one of the goals. I took my "cheapo" camera, but even so, you can watch a small snatch of the game and appreciate what a great time we had!

It's good to get out of the house once in a while, isn't it? Enjoy life and have fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am not a real sports fan but it looks like you had fun !! And here we have....SNOW.