Monday, March 26, 2007

Light in the Forest

João and I are working on getting back in shape (together) and now that I am really over my virus, we tackled getting back to more regular walking last Monday. After a couple of discouraging days of traffic, noise and heat, he had the bright idea of driving up to the Tijuca National Forest. The temperature is much cooler there and it is so soothing to hear birds instead of cars. Now it seems we are addicted. We just keep going back, even though we have to drive 14 km to get there. We are trying out different paths and routes, all with caution, as there aren't many makers, so I have downloaded maps and instructions and we are taking only the asphalted or easy/well marked paths for now. Our eventual goal is to get in enough shape to climb the Tijuca peak, the highest peak in the Forest. It's not considered even a hard climb, just about an hour, with 117 steps carved into the rock to reach the top. I know, however, I wouldn't have the resistance to keep climbing right now. The other day, I took a look at the path and it looked pretty rocky and a pretty steady walk uphill. Today we did about a 2 mile walk, with a pretty steep incline and I my legs are very tired, so I know I have a ways to go yet. We found a nice little path in the middle of the woods that was very very easy for me (which I needed after the hike up). I was just disappointed that the swinging bridge was just way too swingy (it's actually broken) for me. There are no safety precautions here, so you just use your own good sense (or fear) to guide you.
We crossed a creek on one of the trails the other day, and as I walked on the rocks, one started to move on me. I was quite startled, but heaven only knows why because the water wouldn't even have covered my ankles it was so shallow.
I cannot begin to tell you how tranquilizing it is to see the green, smell the leaves, hear the monkeys and feel the wind. At times it is downright dark and chilly (I have gotten shivery a couple of times) and then you come to a clearing and see the sun come out. The beauty takes your breath away. I have taken that to be a metaphor to where I am right now. I must learn to enjoy the chill, so I can anticipate the thrill.
I will try to remember to carry a camera (along with water, towels, food, matches, etc.) so you can see some of the sights with us. I hope someday to even see the famous monkeys, sloths, quatis (relatives of racoons) on the trails. I don't care to see the snakes. I have seen glorious butterflies and birds, but it's always too dark or too quick a glimpse to photograph. Hope you enjoy the sites along with us and that you too have your Light in the Forest today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so beautiful Peggy, glad you found such a nice place to walk together.Look forward to more pictures.God Bless Donna