Friday, April 06, 2007

The Blue Lagoon

Today, our day off, we decided to make a daytime visit to the large "lagoon" (a salt-water lake) on the south side. We headed off to cross "under" the mountain in front of our house (via two tunnels) and there we were. I have actually only been there one other time (although I've driven by hundreds of times). We had just a great time. It is often described as a huge mirror, reflecting the mountains of the city. It is just that. They have managed to make it a very nice tourist area with lots of outdoor restaurants, where we ate some great fish ( a la Cleopatra). On the walking/biking/skating trail around the lake you get a 360 degree view of the Christ the Redeemer statue on Corcovado. If you look carefully, you can it in the background behind João.
After lunch, we met Elly and Bernardo (he is Elly's boyfriend, obviously) to go biking. Elly chickened out, since it had been 10 years since she had been biking! So they walked the path and João and I biked back and forth. We thought about doing a whole turn around the lake, but the kids were walking and we hadn't biked in almost two years.
Surprisingly, we all held up quite well. João and I didn't even get trembly legged. But then we only biked for 40 minutes and not even uphill. I didn't want to stress my ankles too much, either.
After all that effort, we figured we deserved some nice ice cream, so we enjoyed some (with a hot caramelized banana on top).
Since it had rained here yesterday, the weather was just wonderful. Not too hot and a nice bright blue sky. When we left, night was beginning to close in on us and Elly and I both felt chilly with the breeze coming in off the lake. It was a great way to spend our afternoon.
When we came home we stopped to see Marilene and Franklin and Bia, where I shared Easter Eggs with them. That is fun to do. Yesterday I took chocolates into the church staff (not a small task with about 17 people involved). Tomorrow I will be sharing with the workers in our apartment building (about 10).
I am especially looking forward to Sunday. We have three services at church. We have the 6:30AM, 10AM and 7PM. At the 7PM service we have a cantata with 200 participants (between choir, orchestra and drama). I can hardly wait to see "He Lives". I know it will be a terrific day because He is Risen. Yes, He is risen indeed. Hallelujah.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

so beautiful !! Happy Easter. Thinking of you as we get ready for Rally and Convention.

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I don't belive that we missed the Easter Service in your church!! We forgot about the internet.
Despite the all bad news we hear about Rio, the city still beatiful and we really want to see you and Pastor João as part of our trip to Brazil.
Kisses,
Roberta.

Anonymous said...

Peggy

The Rally was wonderful on Saturday and you were indeed with us thru the pictures from Jane Warren who spoke about the BWOQ Brazil Mission Trip. I also gave you a big thankyou for the booklet covers. So my sister even though you may physically be far away - spiritually you are always with us! Easter was truly glorious, busy but the best! There was a great turn out of ladies from Eastview at Rally and I want to thank you for you organizing work with them because they are continuing on! Praise the Lord.
Love and Blessings
Carol