Saturday, August 18, 2007

Motira it is

Yesterday was quite a day. We drove across town to chose a cat. I suppose I could get any old cat from anywhere, but I have grown picky in my old age. I want a cat that is vaccinated, spayed, etc. I had a particularly bad experience with a very sick animal I adopted and don't want to repeat the experience. (She had ringworm, which I caught, my neighbour caught, my neighbour's dog, my friend's children, etc., etc.). Anyway, Motira it is! She is a sweet little tiny black shorthair - british shorthair champion here in Brazil. She's and older cat and very calm and sweet. She stayed in my arms the whole time. The white persian hated me and I wasn't too fond of him either. But with the paper work and all, looks like it will be a couple of weeks til she comes home. That gives me time to prepare the house for her.
From there we went to meet with an old friend of João's, who is a missionary in South Africa. Then we picked up another pastor friend (they were all collegues in seminary) and off we went to lunch. From there we went to a very sad funeral of one of their former teachers from seminary. He died while teaching. I guess that's how we all want to go. But here in Brazil everything happens so fast, it is still shocking to me after all these years. He died in classes on Thursday night and the funeral was Friday afternoon. I hardly had time to digest the news. Since he had been a denominational leader and pastor and seminary teacher the Baptist community was there in mass. Consequently we had a hard time even getting away as we had so many acquaintances. I find such experiences oh so tiring, from the emotion of the day, in addition to the crowds and noise and heat.
From there off I went to the pool to do my aqua fitness. I am at a new place now, that has the most modern of equipment. You are admitted as you punch in your member numer. Your picture flashes up and then you touch the finger print machine (or thingamajig) and voilá - the gates open. My class on Wednesday was on bicycles in the pool. Last night we were jumping on the mini-trampolins in the pool. That was fun. But I sure did drag home at 7PM, in the dark, 10 minutes stretched into 15 minutes as I drug myself up the hill to my house. I could hardly hold my eyes open. I finally gave up went to bed at around 9:30. I hope today is calmer, but more productive. I'm off to the market to get some healthy food. Want any melons, pineapples, papayas or tangerines???
P.S. Her name is pronounced differently in Portuguese. It will be like this, phonetically: Moe-CHEE - da, although spelled Motira. Her father is: Von Wagner Count Basie and her mother is Nashville`s Crazy For a Kiss.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am soooo happy your getting Motira.She will be a wonderful friend for you.....I could use some pineapples, I am sure they are better than we can get here.Hugs Donna

Peggy Fonseca said...

Well I'll just email you some delicious pineapples. They are juicy ripe and dirt cheap here! My big surprise today was finding celery. My family hates it, but I love it. Now if I could just get some good peanut butter!!! (It's sweet and hard here.)

Anonymous said...

Oi Peggy,
Que bom que resolveram ter um bichinho de novo! Eles são ótimos para a gente, não é?
Roberta.

Anonymous said...

Fico feliz q tenha conseguido a sua gatinha. Só não vale se empolgar e esquecer de mim, viu?

Bjks com saudades.

Anonymous said...

So you have a black cat. Neat, I had one when I was about 3 or 4. His parents certainly have fancy names. Hope he won't be too stuck up. Ha, ha.
Carolyn