Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Pimento cheese sandwich

Most of the time I am perfectly happy here and don’t miss much of the US or Canada.  While Denny was here, I realized again that I’ve gotten so accustomed to things here, I don’t see them as different or odd. Still there are throw backs now and then. Today I stopped by the corner market to pick up a snack supper for the family. I walked by the bakery department, unfortunately for me, and nearly started drooling. There can be nothing as enticing as freshly baked bread. I am on a “no eat white stuff” kick right now (for good reasons), but there’s no reason the rest of the family has to suffer, right? So I picked up some fresh French bread (as most Brazilians do around 5PM). Then I wanted to get something to put on it, like cheese or ham. I got some yoghurt for me (yeah, it’s white, but it is no sugar or additives) and my eyes fastened on some cream cheese made with dried tomatoes. I love cream cheese. I love dried tomatoes. So what could grow wrong with this mix? Got home and my family loved their very hot fresh bread. After João and Sissy had both left, I found there was still one piece of bread left. OH DEAR. Where is my resolve when faced100x100_6f5a0f5312917_r1 with fresh hot French bread that I will just have to throw out tomorrow, because it will be all icky and stale? I walked out of the kitchen and back to the computer, but the bread danced before my eyes. I am the first to admit that self-control is not my strong suit. Consequently I felt like a magnet was drawing me to the bread. I gave up and went to eat a piece of it (yeah, right… like I can eat a piece of bread). I thought of the fluffy cream cheese and decided to go all the way. I spread it on and took a bite. Man, it was like I heard choir bells ringing. It was sooooooooooooooooooo good. I mean seriously delicious. That cheese spread tasted just like pimento cheese to me and I am addicted to pimento cheese. I don’t see how it could have that taste, as it is white cream cheese with tomatoes, but just to make sure I spread it thickly on the bread and ate it carefully and yes it tasted and smelled like pimento cheese (only there were no pimentos!). Go figure. It was definitely comfort food for me.02 Even writing about it is making my mouth water.

Things are moving on for the wedding next week. Just 7 days away. My current crisis is my makeup, my eyebrows to be specific. Momma was right. If you pluck your eyebrows too much they won’t grow back. I did so 40 years ago and they didn’t grow back. Now that full eyebrows are in style, my little pencil thin guys don’t cut it. Worse than my almost invisible eyebrows are penciled eyebrows. Now those are nasty. I just read that castor oil makes them grow fuller. I know it’s far too late to think about that now, but has anyone heard that’s true? I might just check it out. But then if this vogue model, can have teen-ainsty eyebrows, then why can’t “eye”? It’s not like I’m going to use Rograine on them or anything. And besides that I do have more important things to worry about.

No comments: