Thursday, June 02, 2011

Purple, green, yellow and other colors

I have to write fast, or rather think fast tonight. By my own rules I only have about another 30 minutes before I have to turn off the computer. Why is that? Because if I continue to mess with computer programs after 10PM, my sleep comes with difficulty and is disturbed. These days I do about everythiDSCN0700ng I can to preserve the quality of my sleep. Last night I slept for about 6 hours or so without waking and that is a great victory.

I have been working intensely on the computer since returning from the dentist. Well, I had to do something I enjoyed after enduring more than two hours in that horrible chair. My jaws always ache afterwards. I decided to try and manipulate an image I hope to paint. It’s a lovely photo my sister sent of an iris. For painting purposes, however, it’s a little too centered. I also have no joy in contemplating painting grass, plus it needs a background that makes the irphotoshop iris reversedis pop. So I wanted to figure out how I could work the image in photoshop to look at how I could crop and work with colors. It took a while to do that. (Translated, I am very slow at figuring out how to use photoshop. Remember? I am still learning the stupid--- oh I mean intelligent  --- program. I am not senile. As I know I used that joke before, but I still feel the same way.)

At any rate, here is one of the results. Don’t worry, I won’t be using this dull green background. I just couldn’t figure out how to get exactly the color I did want. I even tried reversing the photo, but I do think it looks better in it’s original position. I realize the flower looks like it’s floating in space, but that’s easily resolved with a much darker background. What’s interesting to see is that the same flower looks like a different color in the different background. Color theory is fascinating. In fact, it’s rather a branch of physics and philosophy. Someday I may understand something about color theory. Here in a few minutes when I am well off to bed, I plan on reading one of my watercolor books to help me think more about color and backgrounds. You never knew painting was so complex did you?

This morning when I thought of writing on my blog, I planned on writing about how much I love words. I do love words, but it’s really too late and I am too tired to share my thoughts about language and words. It deserves more than I can give to it in the next few minutes, but I do promise to write about that tomorrow, because I’ve been thinking about the subject so much lately. I’ve been impacted greatly by a website that talks about the influence of the King James Version Bible on all of our speech. You do know that we are currently celebrating 400 years of the King James Bible, right? But that is a post for another day. It will be less colorful, but no less a thing of beauty!

No comments: