Thursday, June 23, 2011

Catch up

When I get behind on my blog, then I just don’t want to write anymore because there is a lot to say, or on the other hand, there is nothing to say which is why I didn’t write in the first place. So I decided to simply make bullet points and do some catch-up.
  • Can’t show you the art projects I am working on, because they are a surprise for someone and I don’t want them to see the drawings, but they turned out quite well, despite the fact that working with pastels does pretty horrible things to my health. I am buying some pastel pencils that produce less dust and hoping I can work with them, but the soft pastels may well be all in the past for me.
  • We have had some terrific worship services this month, as we emphasize worship during the month of June. Several of our choirs, as well as our orchestra have had anniversaries, and made special presentations. I have been greatly edified by their music in addition to some really inspiring sermons by my husband, especially as the one on Job. A good reminder of the sovereignty of God.
  • We have had very cool weather since May and I have been one very happy camper. We haven’t had to use air conditioning for two months now. My electricityplants bill is also very happy. In addition, my plants have grown famously and look so healthy. If you look at the right corner, you can see my orchid has blooms, so for the second year in a row I am going to have gloriously beautiful purple orchid flowers. At the upper left is my ginger plant and I think I’ll be harvesting my rhizomes in October. At the bottom center is “boldo” which is a very bitter herb, that is popular for making a tea that helps with digestion. It was a tiny thing with one or two leaves just a month agobeans grown at home. Next month we hope to plant some garlic and onions and other herbs. I am also hoping to find a lemon tree to put out on the bedroom balcony.
  • If you remember my Peggy and beanstalk entry, I have now harvested my 21 beans. Hardly enough to eat, but I plan on planting them and then growing more. Just for the fun of it.
  • Last Sunday I led the junior’s worship, probably the first time in 15 years or so that I worked with junior age children. I have given up children’s work for a lot of reasons, principally the energy that it requires. I find if I get overtired my whole body aches terribly. Sunday, however, I found the experience fun and invigorating. I spent almost the whole week working on it however because I am (1) a perfectionist and (2) out of practice.
  • Although I have read several books, I don’t really have any recommendations. I didn’t finish a couple of them, as I just lost interest. Definitely not a recommendation! I actually did read, avidly, one book, and although very weMinding Frankiell written and good story, I was disappointed with attitude (that much reflects our current culture) of acceptance. The book was “Minding Frankie by Maeve Binchy. It’s definitely a feel good story and a very good read, however.
  • My back is MUCH better and that’s a huge relief. I am even back to exercising, albeit at home with Leslie SansoneLeslie Sansone: Walk at Home - 5 Day Slim Down - A Mile Each Morning, since I suspect that it was my weight lifting that set off all the back problems in the first place. When I get back from vacation, I plan on starting Pilates which should help with my posture and consequently my back.
  • I continue “on course” in my memorization of the Sermon on the Mount in Portuguese. I am arriving toward the end of chapter six. It’s a continuing challenge, as I am not only memorizing the text and learning Portuguese as well. Besides being very edifying spiritually, it is also bettering my Portuguese! I should have done this years ago.
  • I finished the book of Nehemiah in my English Bible study and have begun Colossenses  which would be Colossians if you speak English (I no speaka da good Engalish no more). I really love preparing these lessons and how exciting it is to share God’s Word revealed. My class is growing and I look forward to every Sunday with them. I always thought Beth Moore was odd when she called her students “beloved”, but I now understand that, as those who participate in my Bible study really have become my own beloved.
  • Vacation is coming! In just five more days we are ON vacation. I hope, but won’t promise that I will, keep you posted on our vacation. We will be returning to Hawaii, but this time to Maui to participate in a leadership conference at the Haggai Institute. There is lots and lots to do to get ready for vacation, so now that you are all caught up, I’ll be ending this blog entry. Ta-ta!

No comments: