Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Frost on the Pumpkin

Fall seems to arrived here and it is time to rake the leaves as the trees are mostly bare now. This has been a mild fall, however, and we still haven't had a good frost yet, although this week does promise some much cooler weather. Out west they have had their first big snow, so ours can't be too far behind. My task for yesterday and today is to do the closet change-over. Bring out the gloves, hats, long underwear, coats, etc. and put away the shorts and summer clothes. That's always a melancholy task, for the winter seems ever so long once it begins. I've been resisting, but yesterday João and I started out for a walk and I had to come back and put on a jacket, gloves and a hat. It was 38 degrees and I was feeling it.
There is not exciting news to report on. Sunday I preached at a neighbouring church and had just a fabulous experience. They church has called a new pastor and it seems my message was exactly what they needed to hear in preparation for the mandate they have given her as their new pastor. God works in wonderful ways. On Saturday another church used our church for their retreat. We had so much fun working together to make lunch and had good fellowship with the others. In addition, João adquired a copy of the book they were studying. That gave me one more wonderful book to read. I am doing reviews of two other books and find my nose in a book when I'm not trying to fix my computer.
That's my crisis of the moment. It seems my hard disk is in "imminent danger" of permanently failing. There seems to be a "spin-up retry failure". Got that? Me neither. But I do know it's not fixable. So I've been diligently backing up EVERYTHING. And when you have 22GB of stuff, that's a lot of back-up. So when the failure happens (could be tomorrow, could be next year) I am ready. Time consuming, but it has to be done.
Enough is enough! I think I shall go inspect my flowers, ignore the falling leaves and generally enjoy life today.

No comments: