Thursday, February 24, 2005

What Is It?

One of the things Joao and I most enjoyed in Chicago was the marvelous Art Institute with their world-class French Impressionism collection. I was in heaven.
When I was a teenager Picasso donated a sculpture to the city which was erected at City Hall. I was especially anxious to see it again, as it had become a symbol of the city for me. So off we toddled to see it and although it may be clear to no one what it really is, you have to admit it's an amazing piece of artwork. Big too. Look at Joao beside it just to get an idea.
While I was trotting down memory lane we also drove out to my old high school and house in the suburbs. Amazingly things had changed less than I expected. So 30 years isn't so long after all!
While in Indianapolis, I called around trying to find an old friend I hadn't seen in 20 years. I tried someone in the phone book who had the same last name. "By chance" , she was a member of my friend's mom's church (but not a relative!) and was able to connect my friend and I. Can you believe it???? There really are no coincidences in God's timing. It was so emotional to talk to my old next door neighbour from seminary days. The years fell away and I felt young again.
Right now I am at my mom's catching up with her. Our plan for tomorrow is.... SHOPPING. She has coupons. This could be dangerous.

The Picasso Sculpture at the Richard J. Daly Plaza in Chicago

No comments: