Thursday, June 01, 2006

Red Sails in the Sunset

Yesterday, at least to my way of thinking, it was too hot. I think it was around 88 and it was icky sticky. My head throbbed and I felt like lying on the bed all day. I knew there was a cold front coming in and when that happens the weather gets kind of unbearable - oppressive. But in compensation, look at the glorious sunset. I was waiting for a delivery of my computer desk, and just happened to glance out the window and there it was. I grabbed the camera and clicked away.
A few minutes later the delivery was made and now I have a very nice computer desk. No computer, but a desk. Today, I should receive delivery of my monitor and cabinent and can remount my computer that I brought in pieces in my suitcase. Wish me luck... Actually I may call for help, as there are a lot of pieces and I would hate to blow up my whole building:).
Today the climate made a drastic change and I am a happy camper. It's about 70 today. This morning I was in my "prayer" hammock with my eyes closed when I felt wetness. It was windy and misty and the cloud had moved in around me. I was all bundled up in a blanket and so comfy I hated to move. When I did, what a present God gave to me. I looked up and saw the most fantastic perfect rainbow over the mountains. I really couldn't capture it's shimmery glory, but I gave it a "shot".
Living, as we do, overlooking the mountains I can't help but think of Psalm 121 over and over again: "I lift up my eyes to the hills-- where does my help come from? My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth. He will not let your foot slip-- he who watches over you will not slumber;indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. The LORD watches over you-- the LORD is your shade at your right hand."
In this crazy city we live in, it's easy to become a prisoner of the violence and live in fear. I am so grateful that my well being doesn't depend on where I go and what I do. I am glad to report that I do not live in a climate of fear and anxiety. I continue to live joyfully in the Lord. Even when this person or that person tries to pull me into a well of fear, into a dark place where people speak badly of others, even when some would draw me into conflicts and others would speak from a critical spirit, I refuse to fear evil! I am thankful to my God who watches my every step. And I am grateful for my home that is an oasis and refuge from the tumult.
...And as a footnote, I can't help but remembering two years when my sister was going in for cancer surgery and I was solemnly trying to fulfil a pastoral role by praying and reading a Scripture. As I read this Psalm, I manage to say "I will lift up my eyes to my heels..." Needless to say the entire family exploded in laughter - so much so the nursing staff came to check us out. As good can come out of anything, so it did in that case. Instead of being nervous and anxious, we all had a good laugh and a good time with this needed comic relief.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Peggy, it looks like you are settling in. I don't know how to get in touch with you so I'm using this to try. I needed you and John to know that Gary was killed in a truck/car accident on Wednesday morning. This is Friday and the funeral is this morning. Please keep us in your prayers.