Saturday, November 18, 2006

She's Back!!!!

After my fine holidays, I am home again. I had a wonderful time with my family. We managed to ALL get together on one day at Mom's house to celebrate sort of Christmas and Thanksgiving. My sister called it "Peggy's Holiday". We ate a big dinner and, of couse, opened some early Christmas presents. We were all confused what was the real holiday, as it was Veteran's Day after all.
Somehow you would think after all these years of living so far away, it would get easier. It doesn't. My family plays a funny game of saying "Now, this may be the last time you see me", when we leave, in honour of my Great-Grandmother, who always said that after we left (I think she did so for about 20 some odd years or more). And of course she was right, because the last time we saw her, was the last time we saw her. Still, I think at our ages we sort of begin to take that message a little more to heart.
My plane ride home, was only slightly eventful, as the weather was dreadful and so all the planes were delayed (including due to lightening). I think you can see the type of day it was by looking at the reflection in the window at the photo on the left - my mom and sis at the airport waiting for me to go through security. It made for a very bumpy ride on a very full plane. Somehow, with all my neurosis - will the plane be on time, will I miss my connection, will my luggage arrive, will I have problems in immigration, will my luggage clear customs - one thing that never scares me is the actual flying! I am an anxious traveller because of the small stuff (I usually can't sleep and manage to arrive with a stomach and/or headache), but I don't sweat the big stuff. Other than a very wet suitcase and contents, everything actually went quite well.
When I got home, I sort of felt like the heat and humidity hit me in the face. Nevertheless, I decided to just keep going. I got all unpacked and even had a really nice visit with my friend Marilene. Friday I went downtown to buy a Christmas tree. After my years in Canada, it felt more than strange to be sweating buckets while chosing my tree. I thought I was going to have a sunstroke hauling the 18lb. tree out to a main street to catch a taxi. Obviously I survived. I worked a long time getting it set up (alas, they do not have the kind of trees you just unfold...) and decorating it on Friday and Saturday. I know it seems early, but I just am in the mood, especially since I brought back some of my Christmas ornaments. I still need some more things, but for this year it will just have to do. Gotta love the irony of my snowman collection (thanks to my sister) and João sitting out on the porch eating his supper in 90 degree weather! I know I am back in Rio, that's for sure.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI Peggy: I thought my chiropractor's office was early - but you beat them!! The tree looks beautiful - the sweet reward of the hunt. I remember my first Christmas in Ottawa - I just had to have a real tree - dragged one all the way home - about 4 km. (( I understand your need for that tree)) Glad to hear that you had a great visit. Bye for now, Love, Myrna

Anonymous said...

WOW its Christmas in Rio!!!! Hmmm. Glad you had such a great trip home.No snow here yet and mild temps, guess we will get hit in Jan as usual. Your tree looks lovely.Have a great week.