Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Br-r-r-r!

DSCF0151 We are in a cold wave here in Brazil and of course this would be the year when we came to a very cold part of Brazil. Of course, that was on purpose, but I don’t think we expected it to be quite this cold! So you can see why I was bundled up for my morning walk. It was a mere 3 degrees (Celsius) this morning (roughly 38 F), and tonight they arDSCF0167e predicted that it will fall below freezing. There is even snow in some parts of Brazil. So much for global warming, as my brother-in-law would say. It was a challenge to get out of bed this morning. I had hung blankets at the windows and doors to cut down on drafts, because with no heating, things get quite chilly inside the house. It was so dark, we didn’t realize how late it was, but after all it is vacation and if we want to sleep until 11:00, why not? There were beautiful blue skies today and I enjoyed being outside, but not my husband. I found this beautiful Calla Lilly buried in theDSCF0138 woods. I clipped and brought it inside, since the frost would get it anyway. We decided to stay at home and leave the cookstove on all day to keep us warm. It  was nice all day, but this evening I will confess that I am uncomfortable, since we finally let the fire die down.

Yesterday we met friends at a downtown shopping center and I was happy to eat tacos. Mexican food – what a rare treat!  DSCF0148I teased João that even on holidays, he can’t get away from shepherding a flock, as I snapped this photo of him in front of the sheep. I think he must be missing preaching as I photograpDSCF0153hed him preaching to the chickens from the front porch this morning!

I have been doing reading, but for the past couple of days, just haven’t been in the mood to paint. My drawing is not progressing well either. Must be the cold that puts me off. I did watch a wonderful old movie, “Tfrio e solhe Nuremburg Trial” last night and loved it. I am still thinking about it and thinking there is not way Hollywood would make such a morally upright movie these days.

Well I think I will be trucking off to bed, just to find someplace warm. Tonight may be a two space heater night, if the electrical lines can handle that! I’ll let you know if I survive my first frost in Brazil.

1 comment:

Elly said...

Ainda não tive tempo pra ler as notícias do seu blog, mas dou uma passadinha aqui todo dia só pra dar uma olhada nas fotos. Estão lindas!!!