Thursday, September 17, 2009

Black Sunshine

mia

Today as I sat all tucked back into my favorite armchair, reading my Bible and drinking my tea, who should jump up to sit with me (as is her morning custom)? Mia, of course. She wiggled her way around until she was stretched out on my lap, purring away, looking up at me adoringly, begging for some attention. As I petted her so soft, velvety fur, for some reason I began to murmur “You are my sunshine, my only sunshine, you make me happy when skies are grey…”

Then I laughed to myself. Black sunshine. Who ever heard of black sunshine? While I wouldn’t say Mia is my “only” sunshine, she is my black sunshine. Lately she has been more companionable and has been constantly at my side or in my lap. As I look into her eyes, I can’t understand why people are so afraid of or dislike mia on shelfso intensely these animals that were born to be adored! Mia, in particular, brings me so much pleasure as she seems to enjoy lavishing her affection.

João and I began analyzing her peculiar beauty (frankly, I thought her ugly the first time I saw her, but now I only see her with eyes of love). She really isn’t black , but rather coffee or chocolate colored. Her very short fur is so thick you can bury your hands in it. And her fur is so soft, that velvet really is the only word for it.

I’ve never seen a creature beg for attention like she does. The other day she was on the couch beside me mia 3and when I got up, she went bounding over to a chair, climbed to the top of it to be near me as I passed. I petted her briefly and moved on, but she followed me jumping up to the top of another chair, stretching out her neck to be petted as I passed by. Now that is needy. And it’s not like she not always sitting on someone’s lap or getting petted. She adores Sissy and Sissy sometimes says if anything happens to Mia she will have to buried with her.

It’s hard to believe she is just celebrating her 2nd anniversary of living with us, for she is so much a part of our family. Next month will be her 10th birthday. Our little British Shorthair deserves quite a celebration for all the joy she brings to us.    

1 comment:

Elly said...

Essa foto da estante está ótima!! Ela parece de porcelana, ahhahahaha!!

Beijos!!