Sunday, September 27, 2009

Grumpy, grumpy, grumpy

oscar_the_grouch_from_sesame_street

Because Sundays are “action-packed” for me, I try to leave things pretty organized on Saturday – from leaving the kitchen table set for breakfast to having all our clothes laid out, including “accessories”.  After I was pretty much ready, I put on (or rather tried to put on) my necklace I had chosen to wear. I had untangled it from another necklace the night before since I had dropped the jewelry box and there had been a gold chain collision. When I tried to put on the necklace, it was all tangled. I don’t know how that happened, as I had tried it on the night before and it was fine. But now it was a mess. As it is a very delicate 18k chain, I had to take it easy. When it didn’t untangle easily, I should have just quit and worn something else. But no, I am stubborn, so I went from the bathroom to the bedroom, where there is more light. Off went the glasses so I could see a little better, but the more I worked, the more tangled it seemed to grow. Is there some kind of jewelry tangler gremlin out there? I was quickly on the way to becoming extremely grumpy. While I eventually got it straightened out (although I was all sweaty and irritated in the process), I started thinking about all the things that “make” me grumpy. Do you have a list? Maybe it’s best not to sit down and think too much about such things, but I suspect all of have little things that push our “grumpy” buttons.

Here’s a list of some of my grumpy stuff:

1. People who take the last of anything (last roll of toilet paper, or carton of milk) and don’t replace it (like putting more milk in the fridge or more paper on the roll).

2. People in the grocery store check out (where you have already stood waiting for 30 minutes), who calmly place everything in their cart when the clerk has finished ringing everything up, and then and only then begin looking (very slowly) for their checkbook, or credit card, while I have to wait to begin my checkout. It’s not like it’s a surprise they have to pay.

3. People who want to talk to me, but insist that I drop what I am doing to go over to them. Why can’t they come to me if it’s in their interest?

4. Slow, slow internet connection, especially since I’m paying over $100 a month for the fastest rate possible.

5. Telephones ringing. Any telephone anywhere. But it’s especially irritating when I take the time to go to a store or bank and have stood in line a long time, and then the person who is at home calls and the clerk takes the phone call before helping me who has been waiting.

6. People who call me on the telephone and greet me by saying “Who is this?” I mean if they don’t know who they are calling, why are they calling?

7. Screaming children in public places and parents who do nothing about them.

8. Plastic containers (like tupperware) and their lids in my cabinets. What a mess. They always come tumbling out and I can hardly ever identify what lid goes with what container.

9. Messy bathroom sinks, or water splashed around the mirrors. How much time does it take to dry it off with a towel?

10. My cat (or any cat) kneading me when he/she needs the claws cut. Makes my skin crawl.

11. Anyone tapping on my shoulder, digging the hands into my ribs, etc. to get my attention. For that matter, people who hardly know me, who are all touchy/feely.

12. Emails with powerpoint attachments that say “This is so beautiful”, “this is useful”, etc. especially when I get the same one 4 or 5 times. Or for that matter, emails that pass along dubious or false information that the sender didn’t bother to check out.

13. Banging my head, toes, knees, shin, etc. on furniture.

And that’s all I can think of off the top of my head. I must be a very grumpy person. This has made me think, how very easily irritated I really am. I also realize I need to pray more about demonstrating the fruit of the spirit. And recite regularly, “Do all things without murmurings and disputings” – Phillipians 2:14.

And you, what turns you into Oscar the Grouch?

No comments: