Sunday, October 25, 2009

I’m Going Home

I am heading for home. In every sense, because Monday night I am getting on the plane and flying into Northern Kentucky where I’ll get in a car and head to my mom’s house. So I really am going home. What am I looking forward to there? Well, duh… being home!!! Even though the house in Walton, Kentucky is not where I grew up or ever lived, it has my mom and that’s enough to make it home. And it has all my “mom” stuff that makes it look and smell like home. All those touches that are stored up on my memory banks, that make every house she has lived in be my home too. So I can hardly wait to hug her neck and throw myself on her couch and talk to her, my sister, brother in law and my nephew. Then, a couple of days later see my other sister and my niece and complete the circle of catching up. That’s what I’m looking forward to.

Now there are other little benefits I’ll experience, but they really are just “gravy”, because I would be excited about being home, even if all this stuff wasn’t part of the package. Lucky for me they are. What are those things?

Cool weather. Fall. Still a few leaves turning colors and falling. I love fall. Pumpkins and cranberries.

Driving an automatic transmission car in a relatively small place where the expected attitude is that of obedience to traffic laws. Ah……the little things of life.

Quiet. Dark. The silence of where Mom lives, as well as total darkness at night. Not waking to hear hammers over my head (my neighbors are remodeling right now).

Being me. Yip, my family knows me and loves me. I don’t have an image to keep up. I can just be me – not even having to wear make up, do my hair or wear decent clothes.

Getting my new Kindle up and running and READING lots of new books under the covers late at night.

Visiting Starbucks Coffee. (Yes we have them here, but not all the good flavors and ridiculously expensive – even my Starbuck’s standards!)Ah… Pumpkin Spice Coffee. I can taste it already.

Shopping. (I’ll not elaborate on that, nor mention all the stores I enjoy.)

Talking in English. Speaking “Smithese”, which is my family’s brand of shorthand, fill in the blanks, interruptions,  amd hoosier expressions that is our unique way of talking.

Eating out. Restaurants with a different variety of food than I have here. Restaurants where you don’t have to yell to carry on a conversation.

Did I mention I LOVE my family and can hardly wait to see them? While I’m home we’ll do my birthday, Thanksgiving and Christmas all wrapped up in one. We may eat too much, talk too much and spend too much, but we never love each other too much!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

E buscando o meu vestido!!! :D

Have a nice trip!!

:*

Peggy Fonseca said...

De verdade, isso estava na minha lista de rascunho, mas perdi o rascunho e aí acabou ficano fora da lista, mas acredite está MUITO importante nesta viagem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!