Saturday, February 13, 2010

Painting the Boy Red

We are well into the “carnaval” time here in Brazil. You perhaps recognize it as Mardi Gras. It is NO popular “folklore” party. It is celebration of the flesh in all the worst ways possible. Everyone who can flees town to get away from the debauchery. I did not flee, as I do like my own house (and air conditioning) and don’t really like to sit in 8 hour traffic jams with everyone else. As long as I stay at home in the evenings, everything is fine. Today I did get out to the gym (it’s the last time it’s open for 5 days), and did my cardio. I completed my first week back and it was rough. Two nights I had trouble sleeping with so much pain and aching. I moved down a notch on the weights and repetitions and that seems to have solved the problem. I have already lost almost 1/2 inch off the waist in just 6 days of exercise. Tomorrow is my full day of rest. There will be no church, as our church is right next door to where the big samba school parades are held, so access is difficult, and there is a safety factor to consider. In addition, we host about 20DSCF07570 people who come in to do street evangelism during the evening events of carnaval.

I will be taking some time off my regular activities to write, read and paint these days, as that is my version of getting out of the regular routine. As you can see from the photo of my improvised art “studio”, I am currently working on a portrait of my “step” son-in-law (it’s only two months until the wedding) at about four years old. Then I’ll move on to do Elly’Bernardo rascunhos as well. We’ll frame them and then they can hang them somewhere in their apt. I especially enjoy painting children.  I did the first “draft”, or a study as we call it,  (to the right) and it turned out pretty satisfactory, except for a couple of details, like is eyelashes. Man those are hard to get to look natural. You just sort of have to “smuDSCF0758dge” them in. Tonight I started the second attempt, which you see on the left. I just did the first “glaze” of color and got the skin a little too red/orange, but that’s a pretty common problem, easy to tone down on the next pass at color. On this pass through, I’ll start adding details, modeling the features. It actually goes pretty fast, especially compared to  graphite drawings that just take forever.

I am also reading a couple of books, and although I sometimes feel guilty not having busy hands, I suppose having a busy mind is just as important. I continue to be shocked by what I learn in  “Master Your Metabolism” and have begun to make small modifications in my the helpkitchen. I am also reading a fairly new work of fiction “The Help” ,  and am enthralled. I don’t feel like doing anything else, but read this book. I can hardly stop. So far no bad language, no sex ( a small miracle in a contemporary novel) and a fascinating story with characters that I really love (and some I hate, of course). It’s no wonder it’s a best seller. Click on the photo to read more about it. My next selection is “Open” which is André Agassi’s bio. I’ve read good reviews on it and hope to start it soon. I try to expand my horizons by reading a variety of literature, but always stuff that has some appeal to me. Then I’ve got a book on business and motivation all lined up to read. It’s called “DRIVE”. I figured it might help some on motivating leadership at church. So much to read and so little time.

In addition I have been able to download on a 6 part documentary series on the history of Christianity, by the BBC and want to watch that. I think I have just lined up way too much fun for the next couple of days. Tomorrow hubby and I may take a day trip up to the mountains. If, however,  I don’t get off the computer, I won’t have time for any of these fun things. So off I go!

1 comment:

Elly said...

Olha só meu bonitão!
Tá ficando ótimo!!!

Bjss!