Saturday, February 06, 2010

Tears, Thrills and Chills

Last night was justconsagraçaot that, tears, thrills and chills. It was the ordination service for André, who has been our seminary student and missions intern at our church. He grew up at our church, and comes from a large family at our church,as you can see from the photo of his family (to the right). In the photo he is holding his baby sister and surrounded by his grandmothers. His grandmother prayed at the beginning of the service and that’s when I cried, as she was thankful for the first pastor in her family. I can only imagine the joy, something I had once dreamed of myself!

The whole service was thrillingfamilia de andre, as he received his ordination Bible, the laying on of the hands, the sermon, prayers, the music, and watching a young man who we have no doubt is called to the ministry.

The exciting part is that on Sunday, he will be installed as our Children’s Pastor. Those who have known me a long time, know that I began my ministry in children’s work. I started the specialization in children’s ministry at IBER (Women’s Seminary here in Rio) in 1989 and watched many of my students become children’s ministers here in Brazil. Later I become the children’s leader for the WMU of Brazil and travelled the country training children’s leaders. Although I am no longer actively involved in children’s ministry, it still holds a special place in my Bíbliaheart. I tried to be a driving force for the calling of a children’s minister at our church and it seemed to work, as it was decided that we did need one. That was thrilling in itself, for we don’t have that many children. We are an older congregation and there is a big gap in the 30 and 40 something age category. We have some grandchildren and a scattering of kids whose parents are members. We have lots more neighborhood children, who are the real basis of our children’s work. We are beginning to experience a tiny, tiny baby boom, which our sadly outdated nursery is not equipped to handle.

While our equipment and space was “state DSCF0739of the art” in the 1950’s and 60’s, it is now old and tired. Most of the SS classes have just a few kids here and there. Frankly, if I had young children, I would not be looking at our church! We so need to turn things around.  André has a huge challenge, just in terms of resources and physical space limitations, not to mention the lack of adult volunteers, in addition, to the challenge of integrating unchurched neighborhood children with the children and grandkids of church members.

André, however, is creative, young and energetic. He is up to the challenge. It will not happen overnight, but I really believe we have a new future on the horizon, as we invest in the spiritual life of our children and their families, as well. Our whole neighborhood will be changed as the transforming power of the gospel begins to influence families. Now if that isn’t thrilling what is? Pray for André and his task. I can think of nothing more important than the ministry he is undertaking. I am grateful for his life and his willingness to say children are important enough to pour out his life. He is my hero of the hour.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Peggy, foi minha vez de chorar lendo seus comentários sobre a família Decotelli. André foi um dos "meus" adolescentes e me lembro com carinho os tempos que passei com ele. Que Deus o fortaleça e o abençoe neste ministério cheio de desafios.
um abraço Cynthia Berzins

André Decotelli said...

Que legal Peggy...obrigado pelas palavras e é bom saber que conto com a sua oração! Que melhor é saber que é Deus quem fará a obra!
Eis-me aqui!

ps: peguei as fotos, ok?

André