Saturday, August 20, 2005

Coffee maker

I am currently an enthusiast of my new hobby. Since coffee, which I really do enjoy, although am really not addicted, causes me so much grief (heartburn), I don't drink it much. One day I read, if you roast it fresh and grind right before perking it, it won't bother you. That peaked my curiosity and I had to discover... how do you roast coffee at home? After lots of research on the internet, I learned about the process. Next step? Buy green coffee beans (not so easy to find). Then the hunt was on for an old air popcorn popper (and not just any old one, it had to be a kind where the chaff wouldn't fall into the motor and catch on fire.). Found one at Value Village and another at the Salvation Army - dirt cheap (much better than professional coffee roasters than run hundreds of dollars - after all, who knew if I could enjoy doing all this). When I assembled my equpment, my big question was: would it work??? Yep, it did. Here (on left) you see the beans as they are just starting to brown. It only takes about 5-6 minutes depending on how dark a roast you want. After roasting, I have to immediately find a way to stop the roasting process. The smell is so delicious. You have to toss them around for a while in a metal basket to stop the roasting. Now supposedly they have to "de-gas", or get rid of the carbon dioxide, for several hours. The best place to store them is in a ball mason jar, so I found some old ones I have and voilá - de-gasing coffee beans. I only do enough for a couple of days, so I always have fresh beans. Of course, the trick is to be patient enough to wait to make your coffee when you can smell that heavenly fragrance of freshly roasted beans. Torture. I usually have to make some fresh coffee on the spot. Grinding just one spoonful of beans is enough for two cups of coffee. Now I'm no gourmet, so I don't have any of these fancy coffee machines. I just want that fresh coffee taste. And I get it. It is so smooth that even I (queen of half coffee/half sugar) can drink it with no sugar. Look closely, you can see the steam rising and almost smell the fresh - really fresh coffee. Now steam some milk, add a shot of vanilla syrup and a dash of cinammon and you are in coffee heaven. Join me in a cup? The whole process only takes about 30 minutes or so. Isn't it worth it?

No comments: