Thursday, August 11, 2005

NEW OLD CAR

We took the two-tonne challenge and lived without a car for five months. It was a great experience. I learned the bus system, got in shape riding my bike (and got a good tan in the process) and saved a lot of money. Still, when we thought about doing that in the winter, it was not a pleasant thought. About a month ago we began to look at cars and I began to do research.
Last week, we finally narrowed things down and even found a car we liked. After more work and research and some negociation, we made a deal. Today we picked up our 1998 Toyota Corolla - new to us - old to someone in Buckingham, Quebec. We are very happy.
Cute, isn't it? After we brought it home, I kept asking everyone if they didn't need to go somewhere. I was dying to take it out for another spin. So we did a little arm-twisting and Sissy agreed to eat a Blizzard at Dairy Queen. Then we went grocery shopping where we stocked up. When we came out of Loblaws, João went to the wrong car. I laughed! There was another Corolla, same colour just two spots down. I had already memorized the first 4 letters of our plates, so I knew which one was ours. Funny!!! He says the car handles and drives quite well. He drove it on the Queensway on the way home, and had a hard time keeping the speed down. So he put it on cruise control. So we are happy with our new old car.

No comments: