Sunday, November 13, 2005

Only at Eastview!

I've talked about this so many times, but just had to write about it. Our church, or perhaps Canada itself, is so unique. My Sunday School class this morning really brought that thought home. I teach 2 & 3 year olds together with Sandy. Today our lesson was about the fruits that God made. We only had 3 students today, and they all speak Portuguese as their first language, but also French. Sandy speaks English and I do Portuguese and English. We both know a few words of French. So we are playing a game with fruits with one little girl and thinking we are teaching her some English, when she looks at the peach and says "PEACH." Then she picks up the apple and puts it on the picture of the apple and says that's where the "POMME" goes. Sandy and I laughed because that is French, of course, for apple. I kept asking them "Quem fez a uva" (Who made the grapes), so they would answer "DEUS" (God). I guess I said it so much that Sandy, who speaks no Portuguese was soon asking the kids in perfect Portuguese who made the grape. Now isn't that just great? Sometimes we don't know what we are saying!!! I speak to them in Portuguese, Sandy in English and they answer us in French. The important thing is that we are learning that God speaks in the language of love and there's plenty of that to go around at Eastview.

No comments: