Monday, November 07, 2005

Toronto Travels

I'm back from Toronto and I survived. What an interesting trip. I left on Thursday afternoon ready for a relaxing 4 hour train ride. I had been so busy the last few days, I was ready for some time to nap and read and then arrive in Toronto and get a good night's rest before my two days of meetings. I got more rest than I counted on. I sat on the train, in the Ottawa station for 90 minutes. You can imagine how much fun that was. Got lots of relaxation on a dark airless train. Turned out someone had a psychological episode and they had to call the police to talk him down and off the train. That's a unique excuse that Via Rail arranged for being late. Lots of people nearly had a melt down. It was cell phone city. Me I ate my apples and walnuts and yogurt and dried fruit and most of the rest of my food supply for the weekend. Who says I eat when I'm tense?
Nevertheless I did arrive in Toronto and managed to get to the hotel by 11:30 at night, even with some other delays along the way. Then they wouldn't let me check in, since they said I was already checked in. I looked at the guy, very frazzled and tired and said: "Do I look like I am checked in? Look at me. I am standing here." I tried my best to be nice as he made me wait for 20 minutes as he looked for me. It was a great chance to apply my Fruit of the Spirit study on patience for this week. All's well that ends well. Got in and got to bed and had a wonderful day of meetings on Friday. It was productive and fun.
Friday evening we returned to the hotel and met the women's ministry links from Ontario and Quebec. I think almost all of the associations were represented. I was moved as we heard about the ministry of the Friendship House in Brantford. Over and over again I am impressed with the passion people have to serve God in the most diverse situations.
Saturday the meetings continued and I felt encouraged by the direction in which Baptist Women are heading. We just have to keep reminding ourselves that our goal is to introduce women to Christ, not just have a good time!
There were two special bonus' during the weekend. My roomie was Brenda Mann, the new Exec. for BWOQ. I loved getting to know her AND had fun staying with her. That was so gratifying. Secondly, on Saturday we stayed over for the Kelita concert, as promoted by BWOQ. She was funny and moving and talented. It was delightful to just forget everything else and immerse myself in the music. You can see her at the left, as Jude from Timmons, Ontario. It was a riot.
I was also able to visit Kingsway Baptist Church on Sunday morning and enjoyed their worship so much. It is a beautiful sanctuary, and the worship was uplifting. I was glad I was able to enjoy the experience. Brenda had a car and was then able to give me a lift to the subway so I could get to the train station downtown.
I finally arrived home on Sunday night. Late (*sigh*) again, as the train was just slow. No reason we were an hour late. Maybe it was the rain. Who knows? I was glad to be home and in my own little bed last night. I slept late this morning and am ready for a new round. I will be leaving in a just a bit to take Sandy to the hospital for exams. Then (FINALLY) today I am going back to my aqua fitness after several months off. (BAD GIRL). Have a great week. I plan on having one.

No comments: