Monday, June 02, 2008

Vacation time

I am on vacation. And lovin' it. Life is good, although now and then I catch myself feeling guilty because I not doing anything productive. Silly me. That' s the whole point of vacation, isn´t it?
We left on vacation on Wednesday much later than we had planned, but still found time to stop and visit over lunch with Marilene and Franklin, as it was on the way.
The last hour of our trip lasted about 5 hours! It was very dark, very mountainous and a curvy dirt road. However, there was no chance of making any mistakes as this road only takes you to Mount Verde! We breathed a sigh of relief when we arrived. We even found the energy to unpack the car and make the bed and then we slept very well. It was only moderately cool the first night, so we were fine.
On Thursday we had glorious sunshine and enjoyed walking around town to see the sights. We even found a Cyber-cafe and so I am not totally isolated from the "world", although we aren't staying that close to town, we do get in by car. It's a charming village and I do promise to send some photos later.
Friday, Saturday and Sunday we had rain and it became quite chilly. Sunday it was about 40 degrees and with no heat, trust me you feel it. I was glad for the firewood we bought and for our cheery little fire to warm us.
I have found a little time to draw and you will see I have managed to finish my sketch of my art teacher. I am very happy with my very first portrait and you'll note it is vastly improved over my initial sketch.
Yesterday, on Sunday, we visited the little Baptist church here in town and discovered our inn-keeper is a member there too. We enjoyed the services, and although were concerned we might feeze to death, even without heat, the church was cozy. The services were lovely and in the evening we even heard a missionary who was a fantastic speaker.
We have enjoyed the delicious mountain trout with almonds here. Also bought cheese on skewers to melt over the fireplace and eat on the homemade bread our neighbor bakes. What fun.
The shops here are wonderful, especially the chocolate shops that are a great temptation (that so far we have resisted). The apple strudel with capuccino was beyond our ability to resist and we thoroughly enjoyed every bite!
Try not to envy us too much... I do have a sore back and am still recovering from a severe sinus infection, but even that can't put a damper on our wonderful time here.
To everything there is a season... and this is our season of rest.

No comments: