Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Birthday to the Reformation

I like this date of October 31st, although perhaps not for the reason you might think. Today is reformation day and it makes me feel strangely happy remembering the courage and integrity of Luther on this day 491 years ago. It's definitely an event WORTH remembering.
I won't comment on Halloween, since I really think it's a worthless commemoration. Just can't get into skulls and candy!
I am happy to report I am back from the US, where I had a great two weeks. I have had a hard time getting back into my routine since I returned and have been exceptionally tired. My joints ache and my nose itches. I think, however, I am just about back to normal. At least yesterday and today I managed to function normally anyway. I tried to hit the ground running, forgetting that I just don't have the stamina for that anymore. Thankfully, however, I am back to exercise and aqua fitness and drinking my vegetable juice and sleeping at night, so feeling energetic shouldn't be far behind.
One of my investments while home is a new computer. It's nice to have a computer that is FAST and doesn't shut down on me. My old one was adequate, but 7 years old, so it was needing some serious reform. I have been working hard to load everything on the new computer. I have set up a new home network and got everything up and running nicely, so now I can think about doing other things, like writing on my blog.
Another investment was buying some art materials and books. Today is my first class since I am back. I actually started my very first pastel drawing with my new materials and am excited as I really like pastels. My first class with pastels was rather disastrous (I had an allergic reaction, which as since not been repeated), so I am pleased to say I have now spent several hours drawing and no hives! I am still in the middle of the drawing, but I wanted to put it up on the blog so you could see that I am using my pastels. When I finish, I'll let you take a look-see. I am a very slow artist (I could never make a living at this), and I have discovered that pastels are not a "quick" medium, as there are a lot of layers. The only part of this drawing that is finished is the vase! I have started blocking in the leaves and daisies, but there is much to be done and today I know my teacher will give me some clues as to how to proceed. Speaking of which, I best get my things organized and head off to class.

No comments: