Monday, October 06, 2008

Sushi Time

Just to let you know I am still around, thought I'd do a short entry on my birthday yesterday. I thought and thought about what I would do, as being on a Sunday, there's not too much time for activities. But at least we could eat out. So I decided to brave and make an unusual choice. I would try sushi. Since I am on a campaign to eat healthily, even my birthday is no excuse to "fall off the wagon". So I researched and found a recommended restaurant not too far from home and church. I figure, cheap sushi you do NOT want. Sissy was my consultant and fortunately the menu came with photos. I learned that sushi are the rolls and sashimi are the strips of raw fish. I definitely like the sushi a lot better. The photo to the right shows some of the sushi and the tuna sashimi. To the left is a "house" speciality where we went and is really very good. I like everything a lot, except the tuna sashimi, which didn't settle well with me. Sissy agreed.
As for my poor sweet husband, he suffered along, ordering a ramen like dish, which he was surprised to admit was very good and filling. I thought I would be hungry very soon afterwards, but surprisingly the food actually was filling. And just think I was full without consuming many calories. Of course I sort of ruined it by eating some orange strips covered in dark chocolate as a dessert, when I got home. My husband gave just a couple as a treat, for my birthday, and they were really delicious.
It is sort of strange having a birthday on Sunday, as you get lots of hugs and well wishers. Usually, however, my phone rings off the hook all day with greetings, but this year no cards, no calls. I guess everyone knew they would see me at church.
I received a beautiful (live) orchid plant from the church, which I hope to keep alive a long time. I LOVE orchids.
João, with a little help from Sissy, gave me a just perfect dress purse. So unique! And some tropical soaps I have been admiring from afar for a long time (Have you ever had cherry soap? Or passion fruit? Haven't lived yet!) Elly also gave me a great new purse, that is very in style. Is someone trying to tell me that just because I haven't bought a new purse in over 10 years I am out of style????
Try new things. That's my motto for now. Stay in tune with contemporary culture. Grow older without growing OLD. That should carry me through my 56th year.
By the way I am coming along on my writing. I turned in one chapter on Friday and today I should finish the second one. Yipee!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PEGGY ! and God Bless you in the coming year. It is fall in Ottawa, cool days and cooler nights...leaves are turning.I love fall. Donna