Thursday, December 11, 2008

Cats Are Cool

HAVING FUN

As you know Sadik and I live in Canada where we have five or six months of very cold weather. During most of that time, Sadik doesn't go outside very often since it's so cold. It even seems like it understands that because once the cold weather starts, he pretty well stops asking to go outside. But that attitude changes once the weather begins to warm up and the snow melts. I don't know if he feels the sunshine and the longer days, or if he knows by instinct, but once springtime arrives he starts sitting by the backdoor begging to go outside again. When I open the door, he practically knocks me over to get outside. He immediately runs to the end of the yard where he climbs halfway up the tree and then jumps back down again. Then he runs and sniffs all the flowers, and nibbles on the grass. He chases the squirrels and birds and generally plays until he is tired and lays down under one of the trees. Although he is not a young cat, he seems like a little kitten who is all play and fun.

Near where Sadik likes to run and play, in our backyard, is a grade school. I can see and hear the children playing everyday at recess and at lunchtime. They seem as happy as Sadik, as it is a huge grassy area where they can play. They throw balls, play games, jump and run and do lots of screaming. First thing in the morning, when Sadik hears the children playing he runs to the door, starts crying and looking longingly at the door as if to say: “Let me go outside and play with the children”. I go with him and the children love to look at him and watch him play through the fence.


As I told you, Sadik is no baby kitten, since he is six years old. That is like being 51 in people years. That means he's close to my age. So neither Sadik nor I are little kids anymore. That doesn't mean, though, that we can't have a good time like kids do. Sadik has reminded me how much fun it is to play. In fact, I have bought a bicycle and I am remembering the fun of riding my bike.


It's great to be a kid and it's really fun to play too. It's sad to me to see “grown-ups” who have forgotten how to have fun. It's even sadder to me to see kids who have forgotten to play with friends, run, jump, climb trees, ride their bikes and play games. I think it's just fantastic to remember that Jesus was child just like you and me. When Jesus grew up, he didn't forget the joy of being a child. He liked jokes, friends, and parties. He also liked being with children. I like to imagine that he is joyful when he sees children running and jumping and playing, having a good time.


Seeing Sadik having a good time playing outside, makes he give thanks to God for my good health that allows me to also play outside. It also makes me give thanks to him for fun, for joy, for enjoying life. I hope you don't just stay inside watching TV, playing on the computer or enjoying video games. I hope you get outside (even in the cold) and enjoy the wonderful world that God gave to us.


For that reason, I am going to stop writing and go outside and enjoy playing with Sadik. Why don't you find a few minutes to do the same thing?

No comments: