Wednesday, December 31, 2008

I'm Making a List

I know, I know. We all do it. There is something irresistible about it. We look at that big blank calendar for the new year, and think of all the possibilities. So we sit down and write out some resolutions. I do it and you do too, right? Sometimes I do okay, but there are years I am a miserable failure. Still, I figure it's better to at least try to "reform" , then just sink into complacency. So here I go again with my New Year's resolutions. At my age, I try not to make them too hard. In another words, they are possible.
1. Sometime this year, I hope to add in weight-lifting to my fitness routine, if finances allow. I figure adding to my muscle/bone mass can only be good for me.
2. I want to lose 4 more inches around my waistline in order to take me out of the high-risk group for diabetes and cardiac disease. this is possible, as I have lost 4 1/2 inches this year!
3. João and I will work through Jaime and Judith Kemp's devotional book in the mornings in our devotional times together.
4. I will try to follow Robert Murray McCheyne's Bible reading plan. This is my most ambitious of all. It's a tough plan to follow, but I chose it because it is so different. It begins the year reading all the beginnings - a chapter in Genesis (beginning of all beginnings), Matthew (beginning Jesus' ministry), Acts (Primitive Church beginnings) and Ezra (rebirth of Israel after her captivity). Four chapters is a lot to concentrate on, but I'll give it a shot. If I find it too distracting, I'll go back to my plan of studying a Psalm everyday.
5. João and I will begin writing our devotional book for couples - 365 meditations. I hope to at least finish 3 of my 6 months.
6. After exploring the art mediums of acrylics and oil painting, by the end of the year I will define in which area (or even areas), I plan to invest in with my art (specialization) instruction- grafite, colored pencil, pastel, watercolor, oil, acrylics, or painting or drawing.
7. Carry through on my commitment to teach an English Sunday School class every Sunday. (It starts this Sunday. Starting is easy. Hard is finishing.)
8. Invite two couples per month for supper. These two couples would be from our church leadership (if they are not married, I would invite two singles).
9. Work harder at completing things around the house - if I use a glass, I'll wash it, if I use clothes I'll put them away. I want to stop just laying things down to "get to them later". I don't want to let them accumulate and get out of hand. Having a twice a month cleaning lady helps with this resolution.
10. Although I am timid on this one, I want to try harder to consciously mentor young women. I tried last year and wasn't totally successful, but I did give it a start, at least. My mentoree moved away! I believe God will send me the right person (s).

Not too many, right? Not so hard. How about you? Will you have an resolutions? Will you keep them?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to you both, wishing you many new adventures in 2009 ! Donna in cold Ottawa : )