Saturday, December 20, 2008

Sound of Music

João, Elly, Bernardo and I had a rewarding and delightful evening yesterday. Elly was able to get discounted tickets for us to attend the Brazilian "broadway version" of the Sound of Music. The tickets are quite expensive since it is a topnotch production with all the bells and whistles. We were thrilled when she found this special bargain and we could accompany her and her boyfriend.
I even got to wear my brand new shoes. A friend from church took me out shoe shopping in the afternoon and bought me a new pair of shoes for Christmas. I just love them. Ever so comfortable and cute!!!
This close to Christmas, on a Friday night I was a little concerned about traffic over to the other side of town, as well as parking at the shopping center. It turned out to be no problem at all and we arrived an hour early, so we had time to enjoy some delicious crepes at a restaurant, before the show began.
The show didn't start until 8:30, and since it was a three hour production, that meant a late night for us old folks, but we were so enthralled, we didn't even feel the late hour.
From the very beginning, I couldn't help doing some comparison between the theatrical production and the movie I know and love. It was also fascinating to hear my old favorites translated into portuguese. The adaptation was fabulous. I ended up liking it better than Hollywood's version (what else is new?). It took me back to Indianapolis when I was 13 and went downtown to see the movie. I think I went with my grandparents and they bought me a souvenir book of the movie. I read and looked at the pictures for hours on end. I was given the sound track record some time later and I listened to it so often I actually wore it out. I knew the story and songs by heart. I dreamed of the day I would discover my romantic Captain Von Trapp too. At one point in the play, when Maria and the Captain discover they are in love, I even got all sappy. I turned to João and told him he was my Captain Von Trapp. It's nice when you get to live the happily ever-after of your childhood.
I was so impressed with quality of the singers,the excellent sets and special effects, as was the rest of the family! From these photos (lifted from the play's website) you can see the quality of the production.
As an additional bonus, on the way home we got a long, good look at the gigantemous (no, that is not a word, but you get the drift) floating Christmas tree out on the lagoon. Since it was after midnight, we didn't have to fight the horrendous normal traffic. It really is quite a show with the lights changing colors and formations.
It made for a memorable Friday. Was yours as fun?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Que bom que vc gostou, tia Peggy! Eu tb amei!!
Bjs!

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Peggy
I just love being able to stay connected thru your blog! I still feel like we are together right here in Ottawa just like always.
Wayne and I would like to send our blessings to you and the family. My our Lord richly bless you and your ministries throughout 2009.
Lots of love and hugs
Carol Sollows