Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Roasting Pine Nuts

gathering pine nuts As I mentioned yesterday, I love araucárias, the Paraná Pines. Last year I saw lots of bags of “pine nuts”, pinhão, for sale, but didn’t really “get” it. Turns out they are from the Pines and they are a somewhat similar to Chestnuts. You cook them (in the pressure cooker) and they have a meaty interior. It might not be everyone’s piece of cake, but me, I am IN LOVE. pinhal

Today as we were walking around the property with our neighbor, he began collecting the pine nuts and asked us to help. So we did, although I had no idea what was going on. Not only am I a city kid, but I am not from Brazil. My comfort is that João didn’t know anything about them either. They are distinctive to the mountainous, cooler regions of Brazil. So we collected them and Eliane cooked them in the pressure cooker. Easting pine nutsThe next step was eating them. Yummy. I cannot describe them, for if you have never had a roasted chestnut, you have no idea what they are like.  Too bad for you, for I am sure we will be eating them in heaven.

So now I have a new addiction, that fortunately I will not be able to “feed” in Rio. João says we can throw away some clothes here and fill our car with them to take home. I gather, however, they are only good when they are fresh. spanish moss

As you can see, where we are staying is really lovely. Look at all the Spanish moss. Isn’t that a sight? This trail is along the creek that runs from our neighbors' house down to ours as well. I feel like I am living in a national park or something.  It is so naturally beautiful here.

We took a run into Curitiba today and visited a winery in the Italiawinerycartn neighborhood of “Saint  Happiness” (Santa Felicidade). We bought some non-alcoholic “hot wine” with cinnamon and cloves  (Quentão) that is to die for. Man, my goal was to lose weight on vacation. I can see those plans going down the drain. Here in a bit, maybe we’ll light the fireplace, heat some of the “Quentão” and enjoy a chunk of cheese. Oh to the good life!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Pinhão no céu. (LOL). New thought....
Santa Felicidade é uma das minhas felicidades, em Curitiba. Enjoy.
Cynthia Jacobson Berzins

Elly said...

Ehhhh vida boa mesmo, hein!!
Gostei das novidades!
Bjsss!