Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Old Dog, New Tricks

Last night I did something new. I went to a choir rehearsal. No lightning bolts, please. I know I said I was done with singing, but this choir is a temporary thing, formed to sing the cantata for the anniversary of our church in August. It’s not that many rehearsals, so it’s not a big commitment. Plus they are actually singing with sheet music so I can learn the music pretty quickly. (Most choirs learn by rote which means endless repetition that bores me to tears) In addition, the directors of rehearsals are professional musicians and actually working on breathing, tone and learning to sing correctly. I LOVED rehearsal. I learned more about singing, I learned a new song, made friends, got some exercise (singing counts as exercise, doesn’t it?) and had FUN. You are never too old to do something new, right? Speaking of which I am seriously considering buying a digital piano (no way an acustic piano would fit in our elevator) and studying piano. Wouldn’t that be a kick?

tres ministros

I am on the anniversary committee of the church. Our 125th anniversary will be on August 24th. Our theme is “TOGETHER”. One of the events is an art exposition and I was “volunteered” to participate. My very original idea was to produce a portrait of our three ministers, showing them united, or “together” in ministry. I just started yesterday, but made progress, although there is something wrong with the youth minister’s eyes. Everyone always says he looks like Barak Obama and now I see the resemblance. João and Eduardo look like themselves, but I have to do something with Elio’s eyes to get him right. But look at their ties. It’s the first time I’ve drawn clothes and I think I made good progress. I think I have discovered that for portDSCF0477raits I prefer pencil. I tried ink and that was horrible. The nice thing about pencils is that I can carry them anywhere and work on the drawing, although this is a fairly large drawing and is hard to carry around.

Things are quiet around the house. Sissy is on vacation and Mia has entered into depression as she misses Sissy so much. Don’t those eyes just say: “Come home Sissy”? That’s the most pathetic thing I’ve seen in a while. That is Sissy’s bed, by the way. Mia stays there all the time now. Soon things will be more agitated around here, as Theresa and Patricia will be arriving from Canada. They were members of our church in Ottawa, but are Brazilians. Can’t wait to see them. I suppose I had should clean and grocery shop and get ready for the visit. Oops… there goes the quiet.

2 comments:

Elly said...

Pobre Miaaaaa!

Ana D'ávila said...

Peggy, vc é uma graça de pessoa!
Parabéns pela família!
Bjsss
Da sua fã:
Ana