Saturday, July 25, 2009

Wanna Make Me Cry?

Today, as I was preparing my space and material to draw (I don’t have a permanent space for my art carpenters2work *sigh*), I decided to put my computer near me and put on some music. Now that is unusual, because I am not one to “need” noise. I need silence. But today I wanted music, maybe to help to drown out other sounds, since I wasn’t alone. Strangely enough I struggle to concentrate when I know there is anyone else around. I began to dig through my CD’s and found

my Carpenter’s double album. I haven’t listened to it for years, but from the first notes, I felt like I was in a time machine. I literally felt transported back to my college days. I could see where I lived, smell the smells, see the scenery and feel the feelings. I felt absolutely transported. As I drew I sang lustily, remembering the lyrics and probably driving the family crazy. Their song “Yesterday Once More” described perfectly my feelings.

When I was young
I'd listened to the radio
Waitin' for my favorite songs
Waiting they played I'd sing along
It made me smile
Those were such happy times
And not so long ago How I wondered where they'd gone

But they're back again
Just like a long lost friend
All the songs I loved so well

They made me cry and laugh and be happy too. Mostly I just felt so nostalgic. When I listened to “I’ll Say Goodbye to Love”, I remembered how true I thougEduardoht it was. I was so certain I would never ever find love and now I’m looking at my wonderful husband of 16 1/2 years, realizing how blessed I am and how things never turn out like we expect.

I did get more done than be sentimental, however. I made progress on Eduardo, our minister of music. I work from left to right on my drawings so as not to smudge them, as the graphite is very soft, so he came last because of pl

acement, not priorities. His tie is polka-dotted, but I am thinking it might just stay solid. I was going to paint on the white dots, but I am so afraid of messing up and ruining the whole thing. Does the solid tie work? I think his teeth came out looking fine, considering I had to make them up since his braces hid them. At any rate I am now far enough along I can take the art to my class and get my teacher to help me with corrections and the background. I’ll be glad when I get it framed and I can stop dreaming about it. Or maybe I should say, stop having night mares about not finishing it in time. Surely am glad I don’t make my living doing this.

Hope you are having a good weekend. Put on your favorite “album” and relive your past. It’s nice and cathartic.

PS: I "stitched" two scans together so you get an idea of the whole picture.


No comments: