Saturday, July 04, 2009

Saturday the 4th of July

IMG_0605

Today is NOT a holiday in Brazil, but I decided to celebrate anyway by inviting my English speaking Sunday School class to my house for a 4th of July “mini” celebration. We had a brunch and we all tried to dress in red, white and blue. I couldn’t find blueberries to go with the strawberries, but at least we had lots of red for our breakfast. IOgAAAJ-m2ULZsXdvvWYVRuOPcPeNjIBJOq_vtMPOCX5w9cL5E3ZqJr8J2OlZtpF7uf-BLV0IuXvpRi6LP9bhkaQ7HgAAm1T1UKoQwXm4KlCsi5r9mR-zwh9B80xd have never tried doing anything like this before, so it was the first time in 20+ years I’ve had any celebration of the fourth of July. I am not sure if it was a busy day for everyone, or people didn’t like the idea of the brunch or an American holiday, but I only had 3 people come. I was thrilled they made it, but wondered what happened to my other 10 classmates. Since I prepared for 15+ people, needless to say I had TONS of leftovers. We all had a great time talking and eating. I really enjoyed myself AND I won’t have to cook for a while. I don’t think they were too sure about the “deviled” eggs, but since those are one of my very favorite foods, I ate them all for supper! Since everyone asked why they are called “deviled”, I had to do a little research. Do you know??? According to the ever famous Wikipedia: “The term "deviled", in reference to food, was in use in the 18th century, first known print reference appearing in 1786. In the 19th century, it came to be used most often with spicy or zesty food”. You learn something new everyday! And now I am off to eat watermelon to finish off my 4th of July. Hope you had fun too.

3 comments:

Megan said...

Were your guests Americans or just English speakers? I can see how someone who is not American may not care about the holiday as much, but hey! It was free food!! :-)

Elly said...

Tulipas!!!
Ainda não tinha visto o novo layout. Perfeitamente combinante com Tia Peggy.

Beijos!!

Anonymous said...

Peggy,
Eu acho que sua classe ficou com medo da comida dos "gringos". That is too bad! Batista não aparecer para comer é muito estranho!!! AH! Tereza e Patrícia estão contando os dias para verem vocês.
Beijo,
Roberta.