Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Christmas Shoes

Today my DSCF0702friend Marlene took me out shoe shopping to let me chose a new pair of shoes for Christmas.  Those who really know me, know I love shoes. I can hardly pass a shoe store without drooling. On the other hand, my feet always have given me fits and I remember a salesman telling my parents they might as well put me in a shoebox because everything hurt my feet. So to find soDSCF0705mething pretty AND comfortable can be a formidable task. But look, we did it. These are orthopedic shoes. Really. They are butter soft leather, with a softly padded innersole, rubber padding on the outside and low wooden stacked heel. Politely put, they are old lady shoes!!! But I love them. The wooden heels are all the rage this season here, as is this taupe color. So I am all set up for the summer season. When my Achilles tendon was in crisis, I couldn’t have worn even this much heel. After 3 years, it’s good to have my feet back to normal. We aren’t as grateful as we should be for our feet that carry us around everywhere. Now they can do it in style.

As I have been working around the house these days, cleaning and cooking, I have carried my computer around with me (everyone laughs at me using my laptop in the kitchen as I cook – but it’s helpful for recipes and for keeping boredom down to a minimum.). I have watched upteen Christmas movies and almost into candy cane sugar overload with all the syrup. Let me give you a run down on some I have seen (besides those m7.-The-Santa-David-Huddleston_imagelargeentioned in my last post).

Santa Klaus – The Movie (1985), which I really liked. It’s a sweet fantasy about how Santa Claus got started and his crisis in the 20th century, but of course good will win out, although a greedy toy manufacturer almost ends it all.  I would consider this a child’s movie. The first half is much better than the last half, which is week. But lots of fun.

The Christmas Story – 1983 came so highly recommended, I had to see it, although I am always reluctant to see something all the critics say is the BEST. Well the film drew me in within the first five minutes. The story takes place in Northefrontofhousemoviewebrn Indiana, probably in the late 40’s or early 50’s. Close enough to my childhood, SOOO related. I love the narration of Ralph’s memories of that Christmas. Ralphie wants a bb gun so badly he could die and is sure he won’t get it. The film really gets into a kids mind. And the scenery and clothes looked like my childhood. His house could have been in my neighborhood and his school looked like mine. This must have been made by a baby boomer! The nice thing is that the story has virtually no stress or sadnesHolidayInn[1]s. It is just fun without being silly. I loved seeing a normal family. 

Holiday Inn -1942    I mean what’s not to like about Fred Astaire dancing and Bing Crosby singing? Believe it or not I had never seen this movie in which White Christmas was premiered. The music was fun and the story light. Basically it was eye candy.

The Muppets Christmas Carol – 1992. Now I had a real mkermit_robin_carolindset against this movie. I mean I love Charles Dickens. I really loved the Muppets. But somehow it didn’t make sense to put them together. Kermit as Bob Cratchit, really???? I was in for a surprise. They were very faithful to the story. It was less scary for the little kids, and a little more comic, but I didn’t expect to enjoy the story (again) so very much. Really nicely done. The music was especially well done. I definitely think this is a five star movie.

The Chri51msgahuYzL._SS500_stmas Card – 2006 is a Hallmark made for TV movie, so I was prepared for some sniffling, but a feel-good movie. This is most definitely a chick-flick. I can’t imagine any man getting a thrill out of this movie! I enjoyed the romance, even if I realized it is like super unrealistic. Not a criticism, but it is such an “american” cultural movie, that it was, at times, hard to relate to, for me. Remember, although I am an American, I have spent almost half my life out of the country!

But the total winner so far is A Christmas Carol – 1984 (I must be stuck in the 8xmas carol0’s!) starring George C. Scott. Someone called this Patton meets Charles Dickens and I would have to agree. George Scott has one basic acting style, but it so suited Ebenezer Scrooge. I know there’s a lot a controversy as to the best screen adaptation of the Christmas Carol, and I’ve seen a lot of them, but this has to be the best. I saw this year’s 3-D movie and thought it was boring and mostly just special effects. Although this 1985 movie was made for TV the acting is terrific, and the special effects are very believable as well. The ghost of Christmas Present is just absolutely perfect. I felt like he had been drawn right out of my imagination.  I’m afraid my family is going to be stuck watching this one together with me!

That’s more than you could have possibly wanted to know about Christmas movies, right? OK, so turn off the computer and go listen to the Carpenter’s Christmas Album (Christmas Portraits), which is what I am doing.

1 comment:

Elly said...

Lindão seu sapato novo!!

Bjsss!