Friday, December 25, 2009

A Memorable Christmas

I have read that so many people suffer anxiety or depression on Christmas because they have such high expectations, or because it just has to be perfect, or it needs to “top” Christmas past. While I may have been guilty of that in the past, I think I have moved beyond wanting Christmas to be anymore than it should DSCF0707be – a wonderful celebration of Christ’s birth AND a time of communion with family or friends. So there is simply no way to fail on that score. The girls spend every other year with us on Christmas and this was our year to be together. I know that can’t be entirely easy for them, for traditions do vary and their mother’s family has a very rich tradition of Christmas celebration, whereas João and I sort of hang loose. This year is certainly memorable, for it is the last year we celebrate together with Elly still single. Since she marries next year, things will change. Her fiancé also has his mother’s and his father’s family to think about. That means there are four families to share Christmas with, and in three different cities. Because we have the total monopoly on Thanksgiving, we have already said there is no pressure on our side of the equation. But still in the back of our minds, we knew this year would be the last with our “little girls”. They’ve been grown up a long time, of course, but with marriage, relationships do DSCF0706change. We all had a great time together. We opened presents about 10PM and then we ate supper around 11:30. Elly and her dad were practically falling asleep at the table. It was funny. I called my mom and sister on Skype and we could see each other feel like they also were part of our celebration.

I love giving gifts and am always so anxious to see everyone open them. I don’t think I am particularly accurate in choosing the best gifts, as I always find it to be a struggle, but I do enjoy seeing people open them. Someone commented that I must also enjoy getting presents since I so enjoy giving them. While I might like to deny that, truth be told I do love presents. When someone gives me a present that was obviously well thought out and chosen just for me, I feel cared about and appreciated. I just can’t deny it. And that’s what I am trying to communicate with my gifts as well. That may be a universal sentiment, but somehow I don’t think so. I won’t dwell on the inverse feeling that is the result of not getting a present! You can

figure that out yourself.

We all ate way too much way too late. The food was good and I thought I didn’t eat too much, but must have as even this morning I woke up stuffed. I have only wanted some strong black tea. I have a terrific breakfast planned, but here it is 11AM and the girls are still fast asleep. I envy them. I long ago lost the ability to sleep really late and I miss that. Part of the ageing process. 

I surely hope your family celebration was as joyful and fun as ours was. Enjoy the day.

2 comments:

Elly said...

Eu não quero que esse tenha sido nosso último natal!!! A gente pode fazer duas noites de natal, que tal???? rssssss =)

Apesar do sono que eu estava (desculpe por isso, estive muito cansada com a mudança), me diverti bastante e adorei a participação de sua mãe, sua irmã e Megan. Até parece que elas estavam ali com a gente! Viva o Skype!!

O café da manhã estava realmente "terrific"! Muuuuuito muito bom!!! Mesmo sendo meio dia, hahahahahah.

Beijos!!

Michele said...

I'm just reading through your old posts, and I saw your BIG Christmas tree, which is so not "brazilian", but "american". I'm so glad you found a BIG one for your home. I was so sad last year when we were in brazil with no tree, we finally went out and bought a very sad, small, little tree, but it brought me so much happiness!