Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Overdose

I have serioutabelasly overdosed on soccer. I have watched so many matches that I am really starting to understand it. I am even screaming at the referees. This is not good. I am jumping up and down. I have been blowing that crazy horn like they use in South Africa. I have even kept track of every game on a chart, recording the scores and keeping stats on who will go on to the next round.

I used to be a nice normal person and have been transformed into a world cup junkie. HELP!!!! Today I tried to get away from it. I went to the church to check out a few things and then walked home. It was only about 3 miles, so about an hour’s walk. On the way home, I stopped into a bakery to get a snack for the evening and there was the television, showing Argentina winning their game. For those who don’t know Argentina is the “arch-enemy” of Brazil. It looks like they are going to givefunny-pictures-cat-hides-horn us a serious run for our money!

I’ll give you one thing, with all these horns, it’s certainly been a noisy time. João and I have even learned how to play this stupid thing (admittedly he does a lot better than I do). I think Mia would agree with this cartoon. She spends the big game days hidden under the bed. Maybe that’s what I should start doing, instead of raising my blood pressure screaming and yelling for or against my favorite teams and arch enemies. But then, there is tomorrow. If we can just win this game, we will move on the next round! GO USA.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have just the cure: some Don Cherry hockey videos -- as long as you keep THOSE going on your TV, you won't be watching futebol, eh?

Peggy Fonseca said...

I'll stick to soccer. Sorry, but I cannot abide Don Cherry. Hockey I like, but him I don't!