Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Pizza, Pizza, Pizza!

mta pizza

I know everyone doesn’t love pizza. I recall one time my sisters made pizza (I think it was one of the kits in a box) and as they pulled it out to show my dad, he almost got sick. It seems there had been a disturbance down the street and he went down to see what it was all about and he got there just in time to see them pull aside the sheet and see the dead man’s face practically blown off by a gunshot. Of course it’s not like everyone has such a dramatic story for not liking pizza.

While I know pizza is definitely not on the list of health foods, I can’t help enjoying a good pizza now and then. Especially Brazilian pizza with the super thin crusts and all the varieties.

The other night, I was with Joãpizzao when he picked up Sissy at school. Usually it’s about 10:45PM or so, but it was her last night of classes for this semester, so it was around 9:45 or so. I was hungry, and she said she wasn’t so much, but when he offered to take us out for pizza, neither of us was about to say no. We went to a “rodízio” of pizza, something common here, but not so much elsewhere. It is a pizza restaurant that serves you slices of pizza at your table, as often as you wish and of all varieties imaginable. It really is a pizza lover’s dream.

You start off (stawberry pizzaor at least I did) with the cheese type pizzas, and I had at least 4 types (very small slices). There was provolone, bacon, cream  cheese, and jerked beef. I turned down such exotic fare as cream cheese and chicken, stroganoff, hamburger, egg, sausage, pepperoni, tomato, olive, sardine, tuna, etc. At least that I can recall.

The real “tour de force” are the dessert pizzas. I have never ever seen so many dessert pizzas. It was almost impossible to resist the ice cream pizza, or the almond bar pizza, french toast pizza, strawberry/chocolate pizzg-rj-pizzagrill-rabanada_ra, banana and cinnamon, and fruit salad pizza. There were a lot more actually, I just can’t even remember them all.  

I settled on a strawberry pie pizza and also the fruit salad that was absolutely wonderful. The waiters were a riot and the three of us laughed ourselves silly. We had a great time. I thought of how muchCapture my friends in Canada and the US would enjoy a place like this. We got home late, of course and none of us had a hard time sleeping.

Come and visit us here in Rio and we will take you out to the Pizza & Grill for the pizza rodízio.

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brazilian thin crust pizza! That's one thing I prefer in Canada: our thick crust pizza that you can pick up in your hand -- none of this namby-pamby 'knife and fork' jazz!

Though I admit your flavours are more imaginative. But I'm stuck in a rut I love: Hawaiian pizza -- ham and pineapple. Perhaps you remember that I developed a taste for abacaxi when I was with you in Rio. I now buy some fresh abacaxi every few days at my local supearket's deli section.

BTW, it's good to read Peggy's Penlines and get the news from your little slice of Heaven (or do you spell it 'Jeaven' there?).

Yours from the Great White North,

Denny