Friday, June 25, 2010

They’ve Got a Point

I have reduced my time watching the soccer matches these days, although today was special, since Brazil played. It was a terrible game. Brazil only needed to tie order to come out in first place in her division. Her three best players were benched for various reasons. It was a boring, boring game, that ended 0x0. long haired tabby unfinishedSo Brazil moves on to the do or die rounds (a sort of sweet sixteen deal) and will play Chile.

Isn’t it funny that we call this sport “soccer”? Makes no sense really. It really is “football”, like the rest of the world calls it. The game Americans call football, is really “handball”, since there isn’t all that much using of the feet. And the football, isn’t really a ball, with that crazy shape it has. I know American “football” is a derivative of Rugby and the word Soccer is a nickname that comes from the word “asSOCiation”, but I still can’t figure why it’s never made such a hit in North America. It’s a great sport. So the rest of the world has a real point in loving it and calling it FOOTBALL!

The USA is holding her own and in fact her games have been a lot more exciting to watch. We are up against Ghana tomorrow in a rematch with the team that kicked us out of the World Cup 4 years ago. And I have an 80th birthday party to go to during the game. I am glad my hubby has a cell phone TV that I can (discretely) watch, just like I did at the wedding two weeks ago!

The only good thing about the game today was since there were no goals, there was less cheering and horn blowing and Mia was somewhat less nervous. I did get her some natural tranquilizer to put in her water (it’s herbal, made for cats) and hopefully that will help her get through this tough time of year for her. She is a nervous Nelly when it comes to loud noise. And of course she has just come out of the long, long treatment for her white cat completedcorneal ulcers, which was so stressful to her.

While the looooooong and boring game went one, I worked on a new colored pencil painting, this time of a long-haired orangey tabby. It’s got a million layers to go. I liked my white cat a lot better. Did I show her to you all finished? She is a winner! 

I really want to specialize in children’s water color portraits and also cats in colored pencils. The water colors are a lot cheaper and quicker to do, that’s for sure, but the cats are so beautiful and no one gets so insulted if it doesn’t have just the right expression!

No comments: