Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Silence is Golden

It really does look at Christmas around here. We have had so much snow in the past week and now it's cold and the snow is hard and frozen and glistens in the sun that it almost looks unreal. Sometimes it feels like you are walking in tunnels as you walk along the sidewalks because the snow is piled up so high on either side of you with the 30 centimeters of snow that has fallen lately.
I haven't gotten out much to play in the snow because I am trying to stay home and be quiet. Literally very quiet! I have a case of laryngitis and am having some enforced silence. I am truly suffering with this, but have learned to just accept it and await the return of my voice.
Sunday we are excited about our Christmas pageant, called "The Not-So-Silent Night"and a potluck supper afterwards. We've invited lots of friends, so I am trying to cook extra to compensate. Do you think a ham, 2 lbs. of potato salad, cranberry sauce and a coconut cake will be enough? Yum, yum, I'm hungry already.
Tomorrow, I'm sure I'll be in a frenzy trying to finish my last minute gift shopping and grocery shopping. And I still haven't made any firm plans for what we are going to do for Christmas. Crazy, huh?
Yesterday we had an interesting experience. For some reason I made an extra large lunch of fried fish, manioc and mock mashed potatoes (cauliflower) and even had dessert. The guy who cleans our driveway stopped by to ask us to move the car so he could scrape the driveway. We invited him to stay for lunch. He did. And we had a nice long conversation (well, I listened). Another friend, Terry Orchard, dropped by as well and the upshot was both he and João were able to share much about Jesus with our friend and really present him with the challenge of accepting Jesus. He didn't make a decision, but the seed was planted. Who knew that fried fish could be useful in the Kingdom of God? All things for God's glory, right?

No comments: