Saturday, December 23, 2006

Sisters, sisters

Do you remember that wonderful "number" in White Christmas when the singers do the song about "sisters"? I always loved that song and would die laughing when Danny Kaye and Bing Crosby did it in drag.
Sisters, sisters
There were never such devoted sisters,
Never had to have a chaperone, no sir,
I’m there to keep my eye on her
Caring, sharing
Every little thing that we are wearing
When a certain gentleman arrived from rome
She wore the dress, and I stayed home
All kinds of weather, we stick together
The same in the rain and sun
Two different faces, but in tight places
We think and we act as one
Those who’ve seen us
Know that not a thing could come between us
Many men have tried to split us up, but no one can
Lord help the mister who comes between me and my sister
And lord help the sister, who comes between me and my man
Well here I am with my real live sisters. We are so much alike in so many ways. This photo was at our "Peggy holiday", that felt like Christmas in November. (When I was home in November). Now that it's really Christmas time and I know they will be together tomorrow I miss them and our funny family traditions. I will miss doing a jigsaw puzzle together. I will miss playing games. I will miss the vast quanities of fun Christmas food (that we actually have all been unable to consume for years with our diabetes). I will miss the heaps of wrapping paper and ribbons on the floor (that are all carefully folded to be saved for reuse) and everyone getting in the way of everyone else's cameras. I'll miss being comatose from overeating (can't do that anymore either). I'll miss the laughter and fun of being with people who have known me since I was born and love me even though they had to change my diapers and hang around with a baby sister when they'd rather be with their friends. There is definitely something to be said for that sister bond.
Our last "real" Christmas altogether was at my house in Canada in 2003. I have so many wonderful memories of that time together. And the baby sister actually got to cook Christmas dinner and no one starved to death or got sick! Time marches on and here I am far away again. And although I will not be spending Christmas with any family, I am so grateful for the memory of so many Christmas' together and happy that I have a family to miss! Most of all I am grateful that my real celebration will be in my heart as I say "Thank you, God for Jesus, who fills up all the holes in my heart".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you. I enjoyed reading that as one of those sisters who will miss you too. I am just glad we could have "Peggy's Holiday" with you.
Carolyn

Anonymous said...

your Canadian sisters miss you too.