Tuesday, December 26, 2006

A Very Merry

I suppose things got really going for me, in terms of the Christmas celebrations, two weeks ago when all the workers from our church came over to our building for a Christmas party. We had a great time. This photo is on our playground, but doesn't include everyone at the party! Things sort of picked up speed from there on out, but it was all fun. I loved having December 24th (the really big day of celebration here in Brazil), except for one thing - so many people opted not to come to church at all since they had to get ready for the Christmas dinner. I guess I wish there was a way for people to figure out how to get around this, but I don't know the answer. Maybe there is no solution. The worship services were so meaningful to me. But then I think I enjoy a good worship service more than a party anyway! That was not always the case, though.
After the Christmas eve service, we went to a friend's house and had a great time celebrating with their large extended family. Lots of fun and food. They ate early (before the traditional midnight supper), so we were able to make it home by midnight.
On Christmas day persay, we had a lot of fun as well, although everyone was tired. Marilene made a bang up punch that was so tasty and refreshing. She shared her left-overs and then I made other food. There were seven of us to eat and talk and then talk and eat! There were lots of left-overs, so didn't have to cook today. Gave me time to do other things - like get ready for Gus and Louise and Christina from Canada. I can hardly wait to see them tomorrow. It will be the first time we see people from our church in Eastview since we left in March. I made a concession and left up the Christmas tree (that I like to take down on the 26th).
Today I took João to the church (I can't remember if I mentioned that he has been in a long process of renewing his driver's license. I, however, opted for a six month temporary license that was based on my Canadian license, so I have been the chauffeur this whole month of December) and we stopped at the license bureau. Miracles of miracles - his license was ready! I am thrilled and he is too. I don't think he enjoyed my driving and I can't say as I blame him, since I hated my driving. If I never had to turn on the ignition again (here in Rio) I would be very content. I can't think of anything more stressful than dodging holes, bicycles, taxis, pedestrians and buses, all while driving 90 to nothing and hoping against hope you won't be robbed, kidnapped or shot at! Well that sounds a little dramatic and I will drive when I have to, but when I can avoid it, I will! I think I will live longer that way and maybe the people in Rio will appreciate it as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like a fun time was had by all.......of course the food looks great too !