Thursday, December 07, 2006

Top Ten Reasons You Know It is Summer in Rio

You know how David Letterman has his "Top Ten" lists? Well now Peggy has hers. These are the top ten reasons you know summer is arriving in Rio

10. You put ice cream in your coffee (who wants anything hot?).
9. You get up at 3AM to take a shower (just to cool down).
8. You do three loads of laundry a day (because you take 3 showers a day and change your clothes).
7. You stock up on extra strength antipersperant/deoderant (no explanation needed).
6. You take rides in your car because it's the only place you can get really cool (small car, air conditioning full blast!)
5. You can flush the toilets with the buckets of water you collect underneath the window air conditioners (no exageration - it's quite humid).
4. Not just menopausal women carry small hand towels to mop their brows (everyone does)
3. You are constantly hoarse from trying to carry on conversations over the roar of fans.
2. The main topic of conversation of all the cariocas (natives of the city) is: "Gee it's hot, isn't it?"(like that isn't obvious when it is 116 degrees?)
1. Breathing makes you break out in a sweat.

OK, I don't think Dave's writing team is in any danger of losing their jobs to me. But thought you would enjoy my feeble attempt at laughing at the heat here. I do complain about the heat, but usually when everyone else is complaining as well. And sometimes João gets hotter before I do! I am praying about my attitude and working on trying to enjoy the heat. If this is my "Father's World" and he made everything, then who am I to doubt that it is his hand that warms the earth where I live? So pray with me that I won't be transformed into a "heat grump" and will learn to not only "live with" the hot weather, but live in JOY in the hot weather.
HOHOHOHOHO

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

seems so odd that you are talking about heat and we are heading into winter cold here! Little snow here but I am sure that will change quickly. Looking forward to Christmas with the grandsons.God Bless Donna

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Next time think about us with -17C. Maybe you are going to feel much better.
Beijos Gelados,
Roberta.

Peggy Fonseca said...

Hey guys, although I do miss the cold, I am also enjoying the summer carioca. Today it is a delightful 75 degrees (25) and it is just a joy to be alive. I love being to get out and walk and not having to pile on the clothes. I don't miss scraping the ice off the car or shovelling the sidewalks. So you enjoy your cold and I will enjoy my "hot". - Peg