Thursday, October 04, 2007

Toll House Cookies... Almost

Have you ever had a craving that just drives you up a wall? Me, I wanted toll house cookies. That's a tall order around here. Cookies aren't all that popular here. And chocolate chips??? I have just chopped chocolate in the past. Today I went to my favorite "cooking store" (note the quotation marks. Trust me, this is no Harry and David's) and found chocolate chips. You buy them by the kilo. Yeah. So I picked up some brown sugar, butter, nuts and baking soda as well. Came home, looked up the recipe online and started mixing. The mix seemed soft, so I put it in the fridge a while and that seemed to do the trick.
Now you have to understand, that my stove is not the greatest. Just not too hot. Literally. So I preheated for an hour and it got up to 350 - a great breakthrough. Because it seems to lose heat quickly I put in one tray of cookies at a time and did it quickly. I used my trusty timer and what do you know, in just 11 minutes they were all nice and golden brown.
Since I didn't use the toll house chocolate chips, they didn't melt and get gooey (which is why I said they are almost toll house cookies).
For me, it was a great success story. No burned cookies. No broken cookies. Just nice soft gooey chocolate chip cookies like they are supposed to be. If you know me and the kitchen you will be impressed by the fact that there were no burned fingers, and no other disasters to mention and not only do they look perfect, they taste perfect. You get two guesses who sampled the cookie to the right. Not the same person that finished off the cookies, however. To me a good cookie beats a piece of cake hands down. What's your favourite cookie?
-----------------------------------------The Happy Homemaker

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The cookies look good and I'm sure they tasted the same.
Now for me, I have 2 favorites-Mother's gumdrop cookies and peanut butter cookies. And I do like the crispy sugar cookies mother makes too. I just like cookies just like you.
Carolyn

Anonymous said...

Que delícia!
Dá vontade de morder.
Amo cookies!
Beijos.
Ivania