Monday, February 04, 2008

How 10 cents nearly cost me R$300

First off, let me tell you how much I am enjoying these days of relaxation. Just a few minutes ago I was laying on the couch with a good book and listening to harp music, with Mia curled up on my lap. Ah.. this is the life! I have even been getting a few things done. I have emptied and cleaned all the cabinets and drawers in the house, as well as cleaned the stove, fridge, and washed all the windows. Aren't I just little Susie homemaker? In all my cleaning I became thoroughly disgusted with my vacuum, as it has really been losing it's power. The suction is just pitiful. Never was the greatest, but lately it's just been useless and I find it easier not to use it. I began looking online for a new vacuum and was shocked to discover even a little simple model like mine was well over R$100 and the model I really wanted (upright) was over R$2,000! I settled on a R$300 model. But before spending that kind of money, I decided to give it one more chance.
I have frequently cleaned the hoses out with water and big globs of junk came out. The bag was new, so what could be the problem? Then I noticed that there was nothing in the bag at all after sweeping all day. I ran water through the hose and out came more gunk, so I decided to blow on the hose with all my might. Out popped a 10 cent coin. And voilá... my vacuum works again. At least as well as it ever worked. What a relief. Cleaning rugs by sweeping with a broom is not fun and very dusty. I don't remember picking up a coin at any time, but it happened. Just glad I found the problem. Makes life so much easier when I can actually pick up dirt instead of spreading it around.
I have pretty well finished my housecleaning, but have enjoyed the "mental" break it provided. I have read 3 full books, watched 3 really fun movies (if you haven't seen the "Bucket List", do so, it is so uplifting) and had lots of cuddle time with Mia. Tomorrow João comes home together with his brother and niece and nephew. Today I baked cake, made granola, and made various other food items as well as grocery shopped to get ready for my house guests.
So time marches on and my holidays are nearly over. Still I must say, life is good!

No comments: