Saturday, July 12, 2008

Art Exhibit

While I was on vacation, my fellows students decided we needed to exhibit what we were learning. So today was the day for us to put our work on display for the world to see our progress. Well not exactly the world, persay, but our family and friends, anyway. Everyone else was a little more enthusiastic about the operation than I was, so fortunately the turn out was very good. I even thought of not attending, since I had no one to invite and I couldn't imagine why anyone would want to waste a perfectly good Saturday looking and the drawings of beginning art students. Since I am basically introverted, any event that has more than a few people intimidates me totally. Me, I'd rather be in my own little house. Even so, I have to admit I had a great time. I really like all the other people in my class and enjoy being with them. We never managed to get a photo of all five students and our teacher at the very same time, so I have two photos and in both our teacher, Gabi, is in the middle.
I am scattering the photos of each student's display, so you can get an idea of the fact that each person showed their drawings. It was really interesting to see everything displayed together and discover how each person's way of using their pencil, as well as their vision of the world is so very different. ( I am sorry the photos are arranged so very goofy. Blogger in an effort to "improve" what already worked quite well, changed the way of uploading pictures and now you cannot align the photos with the text. The program decides where the photos best fit. Making it impossible to put your photos and text wherever you want. BOO blogger. It was a terrible idea and NO IMPROVEMENT. I am frustrated out of mind, as I have had to upload the photos six different times - oops, make that eight). That and the tremendous progress of each student is what really stood out in everyone's evaluation. I think Gabi will have some new students since every saw how much progress had been made in just four short months. I became the biggest advertisement of all for her course when folks looked at my very first drawing of myself and of João and saw what I did last week. In fact, they put my two (before/after) drawings on the expo invitation, as my improvement was so marked. It's interesting as I never had an any particular interest in drawing and now I can hardly keep my hands off of a sketch pad. Gabi says one of the secrets of my improvement is that I draw all the time. It does help. I look at the world differently now. I try to see light and shadows and angles and think how things would look on paper. It's an interesting phenomena. In closing I want you to look at a side-by-side comparison of each student's drawing of Picasso's self-portrait as a young man. Same day. Same light. Same material (charcoal). Five different drawings. None better than the other. Just different. Mine is in the middle and the darkest you will notice. That is my characteristic - everything very dark, very shadowed.

No comments: