Saturday, July 19, 2008

Fondue with Friends


I enjoyed this past week, as it forced me out of my usual circle of activities. Early in the week, I had Robert Bratcher (yes the one who translated the Bible in the Good News version) at my house. He is 88 and came to celebrate the 80th anniversary of his baptism. Although his visit was ever so short, I enjoyed his presence in my home. He was born in Brazil, the son of one of our missionary pioneers (who served as interim pastor of our church in the 1930's). The stories and memories were wonderful.
He left on Monday and on Tuesday my friend Marilene arrived, sans family. It was the first time in 7 years that we have had quality "alone" time. It was so wonderful to just talk and do "nothing". Marilene has generously shared her friends with me, so that my art teacher, Gabi, came to me via her friendship. Roberta, who also studies with us, has also become a friend. So, while Marilene was here, I had them both over to have some fondue here at the house. The fondue was fine, but the conversation was even better. Isn't it nice with your friends are friends with each other? I think it is. When Marilene left on Friday, I felt kind of empty. I better understand what Jonathan felt for David when the Bible says: "the soul of Jonathan was knit with the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul." (1 Sam 18:1 KJV) Friends do make us so much richer and add so much to our lives. We have few friends whose souls are knit to ours, thus making them more precious. 
Fortunately, on Friday one of João's friends dropped by for lunch with us and that helped fill the day. Pity I forgot to photograph our lunch of "moqueca capixaba" (it's a fish stew) that I am finally learning to make. It is a delicate operation and requires a earthen ware pot (the top of which I broke when it slipped out of my hands). I haven't got it down to be perfect, but I am getting better. So if you come to my house, now you know you won't starve. I've learned to make fondue (like that's really hard - although it is really expensive) and fish stew. Oh and add yakisoba that I have perfected recently. Some come and enjoy a meal with us.
Just so you don't forget her, I threw in a recent picture of my sweet little bundle of fur, Mia. She continues to brighten our days with her purrs, her antics, and her affectionate ways. I can hardly imagine how our life would be here without her, she is so much a part of our lives. 
It is these small and large moments of joy that add splashes of life and color to daily lives. This week could have been terribly discouraging, as it was the state Baptist convention and things did not go that well. There were heated arguments and disagreements and attitudes that made you wonder if you really were hearing pastors and church members speaking. Actually I say that, although I didn't attend. I knew what was coming and I avoid conflitual situations like the plague. João was so discouraged that he arose at 3AM to pray for the convention. By God's intervention, the 1st vice-president presided at the last meeting. Things calmed down and at least everyone agreed on a solution so it ended on a good note. I used to enjoy denominational meetings, but I find myself more and more disgusted and repulsed by them. I can hardly believe I used to be so active in such affairs, now that I am free of that. I actually feel like it was burden lifted from me. I am much happier tending to my church, my family, my friends, even my cat!
I plan to keep on doing that and I'll leave the politics to others. Go and enjoy some fondue with your friends, too!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Você está pra lá de aprovada como fazedora de fondue, pois ficou uma delícia. Porém, mais gostoso do que o fondue foi desfrutar da sua companhia por esses dias e ainda poder dividi-la com minhas outras amigas! Isso sim é bênção!

E sobre o vazio, eu sei bem como vc se sente, pois o sentimento é recíproco... mas não fiquemos tristinhas não. Logo logo a gente dá um jeitinho e se vê novamente.

Beijocas carinhosas e um abraço bem gostoso