Saturday, September 13, 2008

Chapter Seven of Cats are Cool

Baby Takes a Bath

Poor Baby! He was so little and underfed when he came to me. He had been abandoned by his mother when he was just 10 days old. He survived by nursing a dog. I knew I needed to take him to a vet to have him checked out. He wasn’t crazy about the experience. When we got home, he wouldn't even get near me. He was very upset.

Little did he know that worse was to come. The vet had given him a prescription for his ear infection and some pills for worms and some liquid vitamins. Twice a day I had to put Baby on my lap, open his mouth and put the medicine in. I also had to put a creme in his ears. Me oh my, how Baby hated that. He tried to run from me, he scratched me and even tried to bite me. He got smart and would hold the pill in his mouth and then spit it out when I put him down. Did he ever make trouble for me. I tried to explain to him that it was for his own good, but he just didn’t listen.

Still something more awful awaited the two of us. He needed a bath, not just to clean him up, but to help get rid of his fleas. Generally cats hate baths. Baby really hated baths. I put on a raincoat and gloves. I brought Baby into the bathroom and locked the door. I talked gently to him. I had the water just the right temperature and it was a nice hot day. What a disaster. You can’t believe how strong a kitten of 1 ½ pounds can really be. Baby got his bath (and so did I).

Now he was really put out with me. In fact, I thought he would never forgive me. He sought solace with my husband. That just shows how upset he was. He couldn’t understand that I did all that because I cared about him. He didn’t know that without all those things he would never really be healthy. To save his life, I had to suffer his scratches and growls and anger. I did it for his own good.

It’s really like that for us too. At times we have to take some medicine to help us get well, but we complain the whole time. We also get irritated when our parents make us go to bed early when we would like to stay up all night. We need to sleep for our health. Our teachers at school give us assignments and homework so that we can learn.

Even more than doctors, parents and teachers, God knows what is best for us. He gave us rules, in the Bible, to live by. We need to obey Him for own good. It really is for our own, in the same way all the things I did to Baby were for his own health. At times the things God wants us to do, like loving our enemy or being totally honest, are just as hard for us, as taking a bath was for Baby. While I might accidentally make a mistake in the treatment of Baby, but God never makes a mistake. We can always be sure that God is too good to be unkind and too wise to be mistaken.

No comments: