Friday, September 05, 2008

Chapter Five of Cats Are Cool

When Princess and Muffet Made Me Sad

Princess and Muffet usually made me very happy. There was one time, though, when they made me cry. You will recall that my friend traveled to China and I was keeping Muffet for her. When she came home, it was my turn to travel to the United States and for her to keep both of the cats.

Boy was that ever a sad, sad day for me. First I gathered up all of their things, like the feeding dishes, combs, pillows, etc. and took them over to Susan’s house. Then I put Muffet and Princess in their traveling cages and drove over to her house.

When I arrived, I opened up the cages and Muffet started for just a minute and all of the sudden came running out of her cage, as if to say: “Home, I’m finally home!” Princess wasn’t so sure. She had been to this house before, and even stayed here when I went on vacation. She didn’t seem to remember anything though.

I stayed a long time watching to see how the two of them would do in the “new” house, but finally it really was time for me to go. I had to catch a plane. I knew that Susan loved both cats and would take very good care of them. Still, my eyes filled with tears and my lips trembled when I hugged each cats. Princess had lived with me for three years and Muffet for a year. It was hard to leave my friends.

There are those who say that Christians should never be sad, but that just isn’t so. When certain things happen, we have every right to be sad. God made us to feel happiness and sadness as well. Did you know that even Jesus cried when his good friend Lazarus died?

I must admit, though, it doesn’t feel very good to be sad. It was not a wonderful moment in my life when I walked out the door of Susan’s house and left the cats behind.

I sort of felt ashamed, but Susan reminded me even Jesus cried. I knew then that I didn’t need to hide what I was feeling. It’s okay to be human and feel sad when sad things happen. When I could admit what was going on inside of me, then I could talk to God about it. That surely felt better than trying to swallow my tears. I told God that I would miss my cats and my other friends as well. I asked Him to help me to be able to stand so much sadness. As I prayed, I felt God’s love for me. I knew he cared and that he understood my sadness. Then I knew that I was going to make it. I was sad, but I was okay.

I knew that during the year that I was away from Brazil I would have a lot of sad moments. I also knew that God would help me over those rough times. Susan would take good care of Princess and Muffet and God would take good care of me.

No comments: