Monday, September 08, 2008

Chapter Six of Cats are Cool

Baby, my Special Present

When I finally came back to Brazil, things had changed very much in my life.For one thing, I was married! My new husband didn’t much like cats and I was very worried about what would happen to Princess and Muffet. I went to see them right away. They were happy with Susan. I thought for a while about the whole situation and decided the best thing I could do for the cats, for Susan and for my husband, would be to let Susan keep both cats. They had been together for two years now and we couldn’t very well separate them now! Susan lived alone, except for the cats. Yes, the best thing would be for them to stay with her. So I got used to living without cats.

That is, until one day, I received a wonderful present. I was working upstairs when my husband arrived home saying he had something to give me. I came running downstairs. Who doesn’t love a present?

What a surprise! The present was a little kitten. He was in the arms of a friend, because my husband didn’t want to touch a cat. I was amazed. He was such a little fellow. He was shaking all over and cold and a bit dirty. I knew just what his name would be: “Baby”.

He and I didn’t take long to make friends when I held him in my arms and fed him some homemade food. He began to purr and quickly fell asleep. Even my husband thought he was rather cute.

Since I had just learned that I wouldn’t be able to have children, I was going through kind of a hard time. My husband thought a cat would help me. He was right! What a wonderful present. After all, he didn’t much like cats, but he knew I did. It was such an unselfish gift, because now he would have to put up with a cat underfoot day and night! I really was touched, because I hadn’t even asked him for a cat.

The neat thing about his present is that he didn’t give me the cat because I deserved it, or asked for it or so that I would love him better. He gave me the cat because he loved me and wanted me to be happy. All I had to do was to accept the gift.

That reminded me of another gift I once received. Even better than Baby. I also didn’t ask for or deserve such a present. It was also given with much love and affection. Do you know who gave me that gift? God did. The gift was his son Jesus Christ who saved me. I didn’t have to do anything, except accept Jesus as my Lord and Saviour. That really is the best gift I ever received. It’s a present that never stops giving to me, every day of my life. Even after I leave this earth, I will still be with Jesus in heaven.

I was glad when my husband gave me Baby. The reminder of how much God loves me and his wonderful gift was a bonus.

No comments: