Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Daffodils by William Wordsworth

Time for some culture here…

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the milky way,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced; but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not but be gay,
In such a jocund company:
I gazed--and gazed--but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils

---William Wordsworthblack and white daffodil

OK, guys you weren’t a lot of help on choosing my next art project Smile.  Although I agree with the one person who suggested the daffodils in front of the window, I ended up using the single daffodil. This was for a very practical reason. I already had a printed copy of this picture, and my printer ran out of ink when I tried to print the other. It’s kind of hard for me to paint when I don’t have a reference photo in front of me. I spent my art class today working on a black and white reference drawing. I made a number of mistakes, but definitely learned a lot about the picture. The black and white drawing took a long time, much longer than I had anticipated, so I wasn’t able to do much with the color painting. In fact I was only able to determine the colors I will use, as well as put down my first layer of color. 1st stage watercolor

As I always tell people, while a graphite drawing actually looks pretty good at any stage, as does a pastel drawing, watercolors have very ugly stages. They stay that way a while while you apply the various “glazes” (light transparent coatings of colors).  This particular painting is a wonderful example of working with negative space. That is to say, I didn’t paint in the stem and leaves, but did the dark background, and the actual picture emerged out of the background. The same happened with the center of the flower. I painted in the blue and yellow and there is the center stem. It’s a fascinating process.

It’s been interesting to watch my fellow students, some of whom are just beginning watercolors and I see how much they are struggling and I realize how far I’ve come and how much I’ve learned. Every drawing and painting I do is giving me more confidence. It’s nice to feel like I am really beginning to get the hang of it. I mostly use my teacher as a resource person, to help me choose colors and add details and see where I have made mistakes. But in essence I choose what I want to do and how to go about doing it. I work better that way. I am very much an independent learner.

So what have you been learning lately? I hope something fun and interesting. I am seriously thinking about what I will work on learning next.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

On one of my trips to England we went through the that Wordsworth was from. It was cool as it was spring and there were daffodils in bloom.
Carolyn

Anonymous said...

Appreaciate for the work you have put into the article, this helps clear up some questions I had.

Anonymous said...

Better unborn than untaught.